Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, i finally got some decent work done on my SKS 700.
After taking the chaincase apart, i found the half-circle piece, attatched to the chaincase cover to be very chewed up on the inside of the circle. This is the piece that moves the chain from one gear to the other, for reverse, i'm told.

My question is how serious is that gunna be? I know that it must have been from hitting the teeth on one of the gears, but all teeth are fine. I put the chaincase back together, with the reverse basically not working, it didnt seem to want to fit back right so i left it alone. Now pulling the mechanical reverse does nothing, and it doesn't catch anything.

Also, my temp light comes on. Possible reasons? It comes on at idle. Reasons i thought of were thermostat not opening, and air in the antifreeze lines. Anything else? Havnt checked either of these yet.

Lastly, she's blowing headlight bulbs. All other bulbs work ok. At idle, nothing will light up, hit the throttle some and the guages light up. I would think it was the voltage regulator, but i just replace last year. Already bad?

Also, i did a recent trade, got a call from a dealership, and wound up trading my 01 SXR 500 and 01 EDGE X 600 for a 05 Fusion 900. I'm very happy with the deal, this Fusion is a world of difference, and in so much better of shape. It has all updates done, and has reverse and a Sno-Stuff Rumble pack (sounds amazing). Got two belts with it. I bought some handlebar accessories, and will be getting some more little add ons tomarow.

Let me know what help you guys can offer with the SKS. Still no snow here, but the weather channel promises small amounts in the near future.
Thanks everyone.

20101125202049553_23167.jpg 20101125201710834_23167.jpg 2010112520112369_23167.jpg

201011252090475_23167.jpg 2010112520633537_23167.jpg 2010112520439615_23167.jpg

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
The bulbs are blowing because of the VR. Someone on here uses a Cat VR on their Polaris because they are made of aluminum instead of plastic. Also, when replacing light bulbs, never touch them with your bare fingers.

Let's see a picture of this damaged shift fork. When putting a reverse chaincase back together, you need to make sure you put the shift fork back in the right direction, either facing up or facing down. But I don't think this is the issue.

I'm guessing this is the issue: when installing the cover, you gotta make sure the pins on the shift fork sit in groove of the reverse gear. The pins ride in the groove all the time when the sled moves forward, when you pull the reverse lever the shift fork pulls on the reverse gear (away from the driveshaft, towards the chaincase cover). If the pins aren't sitting in the groove when you put the cover on, the shift fork won't pull on anything.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thats a nice looking Fusion. Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nhrider said:
Thats a nice looking Fusion. Welcome to the club.
Thanks! Glad to be here! I'm addicted now. It's a a whole new animal.

Polaris_Parts_MN said:
The bulbs are blowing because of the VR. Someone on here uses a Cat VR on their Polaris because they are made of aluminum instead of plastic. Also, when replacing light bulbs, never touch them with your bare fingers.

Let's see a picture of this damaged shift fork. When putting a reverse chaincase back together, you need to make sure you put the shift fork back in the right direction, either facing up or facing down. But I don't think this is the issue.

I'm guessing this is the issue: when installing the cover, you gotta make sure the pins on the shift fork sit in groove of the reverse gear. The pins ride in the groove all the time when the sled moves forward, when you pull the reverse lever the shift fork pulls on the reverse gear (away from the driveshaft, towards the chaincase cover). If the pins aren't sitting in the groove when you put the cover on, the shift fork won't pull on anything.
Ok, ill get on that regulator.
Is it going to be a problem if i leave the chaincase as it is now? With the oil ten bucks per tiny bottle, and the little amount of usage my reverse gets, i'd just as soon leave it be until next spring.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
^^ x2

Plus with the fusion, get the dragon spindles, you'll have a noticeable difference in steering.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
^^ x2

Plus with the fusion, get the dragon spindles, you'll have a noticeable difference in steering.
How much would the updated spindles cost me?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Find some on ebay... Probably a hundred bucks or so for the pair.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Good looking lineup, I like it alot. Atleast if it takes you a while to get that SKS figured out you'll have another sled to ride.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
tdgbigfoot said:
Also, i did a recent trade, got a call from a dealership, and wound up trading my 01 SXR 500 and 01 EDGE X 600 for a 05 Fusion 900. I'm very happy with the deal, this Fusion is a world of difference, and in so much better of shape. It has all updates done, and has reverse and a Sno-Stuff Rumble pack (sounds amazing). Got two belts with it. I bought some handlebar accessories, and will be getting some more little add ons tomarow.

20101125202049553_23167.jpg 20101125201710834_23167.jpg 2010112520112369_23167.jpg

201011252090475_23167.jpg 2010112520633537_23167.jpg 2010112520439615_23167.jpg
Personally think you got the short end of the stick on that sled. You got 2 extra belts, because that is one of the requirements you need to make a successful trip to your closest gas station and back.

In all seriousness, look into an SLP Hot Air Vent kit. If you don't, I ask that you feel your clutches after 15 miles of EASY riding. My clutches would actually get hot enough taking it easy that I could almost boil snow.

Another thing is either dish out some big money for a Timbersled Air Intake or clean yours out, clean your reads out, and clean your TB out, then put a prefilter over the intake of the airbox. These sleds, with the major amount of belt dust they kick up, needs somewhere for the dust to go. Well, you have a giant 900cc vacuum cleaner sitting there sucking it all up for you.

The IQ spindle upgrade is supposed to give it a huge improvement in steering and aftermarket skis do as well. I never did this as I didnt think the steering issue was that bad.

Clutching was way off from the factory, but the sled is still extremely fast out of the box. A good clutching setup really helps ( same goes for any machine, but especially this one ).

I didnt have good luck running a can on my Fusion for a couple reasons. One being the warden told me to take it off, the other was my sled seemed a little slower.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sledcrusher said:
tdgbigfoot said:
Personally think you got the short end of the stick on that sled. You got 2 extra belts, because that is one of the requirements you need to make a successful trip to your closest gas station and back.

In all seriousness, look into an SLP Hot Air Vent kit. If you don't, I ask that you feel your clutches after 15 miles of EASY riding. My clutches would actually get hot enough taking it easy that I could almost boil snow.

Another thing is either dish out some big money for a Timbersled Air Intake or clean yours out, clean your reads out, and clean your TB out, then put a prefilter over the intake of the airbox. These sleds, with the major amount of belt dust they kick up, needs somewhere for the dust to go. Well, you have a giant 900cc vacuum cleaner sitting there sucking it all up for you.

The IQ spindle upgrade is supposed to give it a huge improvement in steering and aftermarket skis do as well. I never did this as I didnt think the steering issue was that bad.

Clutching was way off from the factory, but the sled is still extremely fast out of the box. A good clutching setup really helps ( same goes for any machine, but especially this one ).

I didnt have good luck running a can on my Fusion for a couple reasons. One being the warden told me to take it off, the other was my sled seemed a little slower.
Somebody sounds jealous....

No, a can cannot make your sled faster, or slower Sean.

polaris_xc_racing said:
Good looking lineup, I like it alot. Atleast if it takes you a while to get that SKS figured out you'll have another sled to ride.
Got the lights figured out, was the regulator- damn those things go fast. Got new bulbs and it's all done. Not sure about the temp light, will see if it comes on when i drive in some actual snow.

Any body's thoughts about the reverse / chaincase situation?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I'm letting you know some things to save you money and time in the long run. The Fusion is known to be a POS, which it really isnt that bad with a few fixes. Not bagging on your sled at all just giving you my opinion. And yes, if you have a lack of back pressure with a 2-stroke motor, you will produce less hp, thus making your snowmobile slower. Unless of course there is a new law that states less hp = faster. And when I say that mine went slower, I mean I could pull 118 all day long on the speedo without my dynoport can. With the dynoport I never saw higher than 116. I did a lot of riding both with and without a different can.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
2 MPH.. HOLY CRAP! that's a lot.. But i'm sure that 2mph couldn't be blamed on the conditions of the run either..?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
tdgbigfoot said:
Got the lights figured out, was the regulator- damn those things go fast. Got new bulbs and it's all done. Not sure about the temp light, will see if it comes on when i drive in some actual snow.

Any body's thoughts about the reverse / chaincase situation?
If it was an aftermarket regulator, they tend to go a bit quicker than the OEM Polaris ones. I put one in my sled 2 years ago, kinda curious when it's gonna go.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sks7kid said:
2 MPH.. HOLY CRAP! that's a lot.. But i'm sure that 2mph couldn't be blamed on the conditions of the run either..?
Absolutly not, theres no chance of that whatsoever.Must be the can. [baldy]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
tdgbigfoot said:
sks7kid said:
Precisely. I would ignore his comments about the can, its a personal preference. And Sean, if that sled pulled 118 MPH, my ass is a hat.

Although the Fusion is a known problem machine, its known as that by people who's best friends sisters ex had one and had a lemon. Although, I would look out for a Fusion/SKS trade to an IQ, then you would be sitting pretty.

I know I keep saying it, but its true, you really are moving up in the sled world. Hang on to that F6 though, she's a keeper.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
how is that indy mod coming along?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Havn't made much progress, dont have a garage to work in. I have it completly stripped apart, and have sanblasted a bunch of parts. Have the rear suspension ready to put in. Havn't found an engine yet.
This spring, i will get it put together, and will have another sled in the lineup.

Dragon700 said:
tdgbigfoot said:
sks7kid said:
Precisely. I would ignore his comments about the can, its a personal preference. And Sean, if that sled pulled 118 MPH, my ass is a hat.

Although the Fusion is a known problem machine, its known as that by people who's best friends sisters ex had one and had a lemon. Although, I would look out for a Fusion/SKS trade to an IQ, then you would be sitting pretty.

I know I keep saying it, but its true, you really are moving up in the sled world. Hang on to that F6 though, she's a keeper.
Thanks buddy!
Don't see me trading my SKS tho, i don't ever plan on trading that. I've had a lot of offers from people.
With my luck, I'll find someone who will trade me my Citation for a IQ. [thumb]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
tdgbigfoot said:
Havn't made much progress, dont have a garage to work in. I have it completly stripped apart, and have sanblasted a bunch of parts. Have the rear suspension ready to put in. Havn't found an engine yet.
This spring, i will get it put together, and will have another sled in the lineup.

Dragon700 said:
tdgbigfoot said:
sks7kid said:

Thanks buddy!
Don't see me trading my SKS tho, i don't ever plan on trading that. I've had a lot of offers from people.
With my luck, I'll find someone who will trade me my Citation for a IQ. [thumb]
With the boat seat? Im in!

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Dragon700 said:
tdgbigfoot said:
sks7kid said:

118mph on the speedo is not even close to unheard of for a Fusion 900.
One of the members on here ( PolarisEdge ) took this picture:

That was with different clutching, and was radard in at 117mph with no studs and a 325lb rider. If you dont believe that, ask him yourself.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
they r talking about the can making you lose 2 mph i beilieve

1 - 20 of 27 Posts