Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not trying to start a brand bashing topic here, but I just want to hear what everyone thinks and has heard the diferent brands are best at.

Like here in my neck of the woods guy say that:
Artic Cats are the best for speed and quickness

Yamaha is the best for overall reliability but kind of heavy

Polaris is light and trail friendly

Ski Doo is innovative, fast and reliable

Stuff like that.

What I really want to know is do you think that Polaris has good engines now. I like my old XLT and wouldn't mind getting a newer Polaris, but I have had so many problems I am a more than a little leery of getting another Polaris. So do you think Polaris has good quality now or should I just look at the other brands.

Most of my riding is trails and lakes. I like to go fast when it's safe to but I don't want to modify the sled to do so. And ride comfort and reliability is very important to my getting older bones and muscles.

I will probably get something in the late 90's model years 600 + cc's.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Biased Opinion Here,

The liberty engines are very reliable. Your XLT is not a good comparison as we all know they did have issues. I bought my wife an XC500 and hands down i love riding that sled over my sleds (XLTsp and indy 500). In our group we dont have any yamahas so i dont have any input there. We have a couple of MXZ440's, a firecat, zr440, XCR440, 2 XC600's... They are all good sleds however here are a couple of things i dont like. The footwells and running boards on the zr440 are a little narrow feeling and by the end of the season were bent. The XCR440's engine is very high strung and did burn down but so did one of the MXZ's. My XLT towed them both home... The Firecat is FAST but hard to keep the front end planted frimly on the ground. The XC600's I believe are your best bet and will be what i buy next year. I almost bought an X2 this year but i want to wait and see what polaris has up their sleeve. This year we will have a REV in the group so i will get a chance to check that out in 5.5 months [:D]
The edge chasis is very comfortable and nimble... If you have any questions about the XC's let me know.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I would say that a polaris 600 classic with m-10 would be just right for you. I will warn you that they like to overheat in warm weather.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I would look into a carry over ZL(not a fan of the Fchassis, but if you are get a Sabercat) or XCSP. If he occasionally does ditch riding I would stay away from the M10. I have heard issues about them. As for the engines, I have to say that the Liberty engines(Polaris) are quite strong and have been improved for durablity substatially. Also I have heard the new Cat engines are quite strong but have had some issues. I have very little experience with Rotax engines and Skidoos so I won't say anything about them,

This is just my opinion though. Wait for snow then take a couple out to see what you like.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Oh and i suppose i will throw in my 2cents on what i think of the brands so

Arctic Cats to me seem to be awesome handling sleds, i love the trail manners. There performance will never dissappoint you.

Polaris to me handle OK, but i have never had any reliability issues, neither has any of my friends. And every polaris i have drove has not been trail friendly to me.Even with working on the suspension.

I have drove 4 different yamahas and they were the worst handling sleds i have ever drove. They tend to push in corners, But again they are heavy.

I like ski-doos but i just wouldn't own one. They are mean looking sleds and they work. I find alot of them lack top speed. I also find that the friends i ride with tend to have trouble with little stuff breaking that hasd to do with the chassis.

I HOPE THAT NO ONE TAKES OFFENSE TO ANYTHING I HAVE SAID BUT THESE ARE MY OPINIONS. BUT THEY ARE ALSO JUST THE OPINIONS ON THE SLEDS I HAVE DROVE. I AM NOT EXTREME ON BRANDS , I LIKE EVERY BRAND OF SNOWMOBILES AND WOULD DRIVE ANYTHING WITH TWO SKIS(OR ONE) WITH A TRACK.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i am kind of indifferent right now, ive rode AC all my life and have had reliability issues with all of them except the 1974 panther (ol reliable, the new one in the shop, that one goes for a rip), my PS seems to be lacking any top end and the midrange isnt the greatest, but its a mountain sled and the bottom end is awsome

last witner i rode a XC 500 in Yellowstone and it handled jsut as good as my AC, it had alot better midrange also, the only thing that it needed was studs becuase when u would giver it would fishtail a lil bit while the track was spinning, i have heard that Polaris is a lil more reliable than AC

yamaha, i just plain old dont care for triples at all and will never buy one

ski doo, i was lookin at gettin a ski doo for my next sled, that was before the REV came out and took over the ENTIRE high performance line up, then my views shifted towards polaris, i am not sayin the REV is bad, just i dont think i will like it, some people say it is awsome, some say it isnt, and it is ugly IMO

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
I spose i better throw my opinion in..

AC= good power, good susp,seems as if they always need tweaking to get them to go right.

polaris= edge susp handles awsome, new twins are reliable and quick, havnt heard of many problems eccept the old triples.

yamaha = heavy, outdated , havnt had much experence with them.

ski-doo= good all around/ friendly sled in every aspect, just to bad they had to put them into the rev chassis..

I think you would like the new polaris..

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Originally posted by Polaris XLTSP
[br]
What I really want to know is do you think that Polaris has good engines now. I like my old XLT and wouldn't mind getting a newer Polaris, but I have had so many problems I am a more than a little leery of getting another Polaris. So do you think Polaris has good quality now or should I just look at the other brands.
I felt the same way. I used to have an XLT engine that had a few problems, but don't forget, ALL manufacturer's put out a few problematic engines.
This past year, AC is having thier fair share of engine burn-downs with last years' F7. However, they are standing by their product and giving most people a new engine that had unnexplained engine failure. But it still sucks when your brand new machine fails!

In recent years i have grown very fond of Polaris' USA-built engines. They've proven themselves very strong overall. My 98' USA 440 l/c engine has been a flawless runner, and now has over 4000 miles on an engine that was designed for the race track. Not bad, considering it's never been taken apart. I am sure the domestic twins are even more reliable.
You can get a great deal these days on a used 2000 XC SP 600. Or for a smoother ride, find a 45th Anniversary XC SP 700 with the electronic shocks you adjust from the handlebar. That might be what your looking for. Slightly used sleds are great for us guys with a smaller wallet :)

Again, this is just my opinion, so don't sue me.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
i have no expierence with new sleds but to me my most reliable sled is my 95 zr 580 quick as hell response torque like a mother trucker but my old 83 indy will beat the hell out of it in the long haul then again it does have a big bore kit and triple pipes.

anyways my views and opinions on a few things

polaris
good all around sled as somone mentioned before trail friendly and all around good sleds

Cat
performance wise from what i have had i like the twins trail friendly and user friendly

skidoo
im actually looking at one for my wife right now seems like its a good all around sled (no chance to ride it yet) cant comment on anything else on it

yamaha
only one ive had was a 73 gp 338 but it was reliable handled like crap so no other comments

thats my views on the big four

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the good input from all of you. Keep it coming.

Is the XC a triple or a twin?

I have a line on a 2002 Polaris 800 XCSP Edge X in blue and yellow. It has 2400 miles on it and the guy is asking $3900 US.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I believe the XC is a twin. If the sled is in good shape and is already studded and has a cover, I'd say that's a hell of a deal.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
AGREED!!! that is a good deal. If you dont want it let me know I might be interested. I love the blue and yellow color combo. It is a twin with VES.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
the XC is a twin. i sled with 6 doo's 6 polaris sleds, 2 yamaha's and 2 cats. the 2 cats (94 440 jag deluxe, 2000 i think thundercat) worked good my mom was driving 1 so i didnt see much of it cuz she liek s the back of the pack. the only problem we have seen with cats are the drive axle bearings. the yamahas (SRX and 88 exciter 570) have been very reliable however they arent that big of a performer compaired to the polaris n doo's. 2 doo's and my polaris blew up this year. the crank went in a guys 700 tripple doo' mach somthing lol. a piston skirt broke off a formula 3, and a clip of a metering rod on my carb broke and ripped the hell out of 1 my cyls , piston. its a 96 xcr 600 sp with the 680 ultra cyls. if i were to get a new sled id go for the XC 700

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
xltsp,

That does indeed sound like a fair price. How many miles will you be at in a year or two on that sled thou? I don't put on a lot of miles any more, but I'd certainly be close to 5,000mi after a couple of average years when starting with 2,400mi. Then your back to nickle and diming to keep the sled up to snuff.

I'm with big willy and believe your riding style would work best with a ZL,XC/XCsp, or MXZtrail. You may want to keep looking (I doubt there is a big demand for the 800cc now anyway) for a model with 1,000 or less miles. I saw a ton of good deals last winter on sleds. For instance, my friend picked up a 2000 ZL700 with 600mi on ebay for $2,500. This sled is as good as new.

In my book, any new sled is good, yea, they are all good!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The ad says it's studded and comes with matching coat and helmet. I'll have to see if he still has it now that you guys say it's a good one.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yamaha = heavy, outdated, triples, handle like crap [B)]

At least they are reliable [:)]

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
that is a awsome deal on that 02 edge 800...Let me know if ya dont want it..

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hey Canuck, i used to have the same problem with yamaha's(too heavy), But let me suggest this to you. Take a ride on a yamaha viper with triple pipes, I garentee you will be singing a different toon then just as i am. I think the viper is the lightest triple that has ever been made. I think the dry weight is like 490 or something. When you have something that light with triple pipes, cranking out over 150hp then you might want to hang on.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
You want heavy, try my GenII chassis 600XC. I'll give you heavy. Must be close to 600 lbs.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts