Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just got back from a trail run and didn't have enough snow in the track to cool the slides. Melted the slides to the track clips after a few minutes while sitting there. Almost though I had to tow it home with a toboggan. Kicked it loose and threw some snow in to lube it up and it was fine after that. That happen to anyone else on hard pack trail before?

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

Edited by - bman on November 13 2001 6:23:50 PM

·
Registered
289 Posts
HEHEHE... saw a lady on a a/c 340 with her husband on side of trail...
someone forgot to fasten slides however u do it. and they melted, stuck and shoved them out the clip hole and jammed one of the under the tunnel... WEIRD.. i didnt have any tools and i was running low on gas and had to get home for supper... thats gotta suck.. i dunno how it happened.

Duct tape much like the force... it has a light side, a dark side.... and it holds the world together!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Been there done that!
If you lift the back end of the sled and SLAM it back down it usually breaks it free.....
We need snowwww

RtkatZL8

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Mine have melted too. You'll be riding at a good pace down the trail and the next thing you know you are only going 40 mph at WOT. So i pull off into the deeper snow or even stop and kick snow at the slides to cool... Then it's like riding on butter again.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never carried butter in the trunk before but maybe I'll start. Hmmmm.... perhaps chapstick would work. I always carry that. Minty fresh too!! LOL

Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Did that the first year I rode.
Stuck the Hyfax to the track clips.
Tipped the sled up on its side and kicked them loose. After I got it home had to scape off all the melted hyfax on the track clips.
They make spring loaded ice pick looking things you can mount on your skis to kick snow onto the track. I know a couple of guys who use these on there mountain sleds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bman, Jesus how warm was it outside! Have never seen that happen before. I've been riding in about 40 degree weather but haven't ever had that happen.

LET IT SNOW!!!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Temp was about 3 celcius (~36-38F). Perhaps the slides are not graphite and just cheap plastic ones. I've no idea. Track tension could be too tight too come to think of it. I just took it out there, didn't really give it a good look over. I was too excited just to be on the snow to begin with.

Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
311 Posts
We cary WD-40 to squirt them on long lakes with only ice no snow available. I am talking a mile or better and no snow.

funny?
We rode once with my brothers friends, they happened to have ski-doo. We rode a trail all ice and a little snow on the sides. Me and Bro slide back and fourth just like his friends for a 1/3 mile. when we got to the deep snow these guys stop immediate and start kicking snow under like it was on fire. We just drove past them into the deeper snow for a minute or two that was plenty. They caught up to us they were pissed we didn't do the same. I laughed told them I was here to ride not panic about hifax wear. Besides that is what happends when you ride in the deep snow it cools back down. If you stop pack snow it will stick to the track.

"Meaningless Ride"

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
ive never thought about that, we ride alot of rivers, but usually their is enough snow, that i wouldnt have to worry about slide lube. got an extra set, just in case, and im carring the sqeezey butter if all else fails........lol

FASTER THAN A SPEEDING BULLET,ABLE TO JUMP TALL DRIFTS IN A SINGLE BOUND, ITS A BIRD, ITS A PLANE, ITS.............POLARIS!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
im thinking... of something... maybe a lil grease? low temp? build a lil pump into sled that u press button on icy trails and squirts some on hyfax lol nah... the spring thing for the skis sounds good

Duct tape much like the force... it has a light side, a dark side.... and it holds the world together!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
we run lakes for miles at a time with no snow. We stop drag race stop again and watch others race. Never thought of it on a lake. there is snow there enough that ti gets kicked up and besides hottest I ever saw it was 10F

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correct me if I'm wrong but plastic or graphite slides are meant to be lubed with water. I don't know what would happen when you heat them up and throw some combustible grease on them. Just keep 'em wet and you're ok.

Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
311 Posts
yes they are suppose to be water cooled. no don't grease them that would be a mess. All I was saying some areas you ride there may not be aedequate amounts of snow for very very very long distances and a light penatrating oil such as wd-40 goes a long way before the hifax will even get friction to heat up. Hell I coat the whole sled in the summer to keep it nee looking.

"Meaningless Ride"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts