Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the sled has no identification on the sled anywhere as its a full blown drag sled and has been for years. I know its a mid 90's polaris wedge and thats about it. most drag tracks around the iowa area are requiring that you have your sled registered for trail use at drag's on state land.

How can I get this registered?

·
Registered
110 Posts
What I did here in Michigan was take the bill of sale (including VIN number) to the secratary of state (DMV), and all is good..

Burch

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no number or tag on the tunnel of this sled and I can't even see that there was one on it. I have been told there are other locations as to where one could be on the sled? Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
He didnt put the VIN ( or serial number ) on the bill of sale? Sounds sketchy to me.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said it was strictly a drag sled and thats how he bought it. There are no #'s on the tunnel anywhere. I know the #'s are in 1-2 different locations, I am just not sure where.

thanks

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
If it started its life as a trail sled ( which it probably did unless its a custom chassis ) it will have VIN numbers unless they were removed. I'd check the tunnel again, and then maybe on the motor ( usually stamped right by the recoil ) to see if it has a number that matches the chassis.

·
Registered
634 Posts
here in wisconsin i had the same issue last year and i called the dnr. they told me to just make up a vin for it and register it that way. The new vin just has to be in plain sight so the dnr/cops can find it. I thought this was extremely messed up. but thats what i did and last year i got stoped at a dnr stop on the trail, and the warden never gave it a second look. Id say call the dnr and then go register it online. My 2c

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no engine in the sled. I might just have to apply for a homemade sled or something like that and have the dnr inspect it and issue a registration for me. i will look into it on monday.

·
Registered
110 Posts
^ Yes, that would be another option..

·
Registered
26 Posts
what about IL??? I have a sled I just got yesterday (I know the numbers on the eng won't match the chassis, I just swapped engines today--but I still do have the orig engine here) No bill of sale nothing; CL buy; bought as "parts" but wound up to be better than the sled I wanted the parts for! took less work to get this one running (and its in overall better shape) than to rob the parts for my original;
I know they changed teh proess for home made trailers starting in 2010; I have one of those lawn ornaments sitting here waiting on them to call me with my appointment time to appear for inspection so they can apply a VIN tag;
how big of a deal is it riding an unregistered sled anyway? does it only apply like at a state park or something?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I've seen a secondary sticker on the front part of the chassis under the motor.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's an immediate $100.00 ticket here in Iowa. The smallest ticket the DNR has for anything is $100.00 I will have to check inside the belly pan for any stamped numbers. Hopefully I can find something.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Racing_joe66 said:
It's an immediate $100.00 ticket here in Iowa. The smallest ticket the DNR has for anything is $100.00 I will have to check inside the belly pan for any stamped numbers. Hopefully I can find something.
IDK about the DNR's "cheapest" ticket here but driving wise the cheapest just went to $120, 3 months ago here in IL; f*c$#rs.... with "court costs" and such it usually winds up about 2.5 times that with most of what they call "court" costs actually having nothing to do with running that facility; and I'm one of teh "lucky" ones that gets nailed to the nth degree for the most minor of offenses so I, too, need to know;

would this be something that may be worth "stickying" with anyone having know how of their respective state posting what they know?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
DonB said:
how big of a deal is it riding an unregistered sled anyway? does it only apply like at a state park or something?
The money from your registration doesnt just go to the state. A lot of the times it also goes to local clubs which help build the trails you ride. I know around here ( Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Mass, etc... ) you can't ride ANYWHERE without a valid registration sticker and/or trail pass. Some places the fine may be $100, but other places may charge as high as $500.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The reason I need to get it registered isn't to trail ride it, but to do radar runs or drag races that are on state owned land. I think its a joke since your not riding the trail's with it. But w/e. I guess some places in IL and WI are requiring this also.

·
Registered
26 Posts
sledcrusher said:
DonB said:
The money from your registration doesnt just go to the state. A lot of the times it also goes to local clubs which help build the trails you ride. I know around here ( Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Mass, etc... ) you can't ride ANYWHERE without a valid registration sticker and/or trail pass. Some places the fine may be $100, but other places may charge as high as $500.
ok then how do I register a sled I have no prior paperwork on?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
DonB said:
sledcrusher said:
DonB said:
ok then how do I register a sled I have no prior paperwork on?
Different for every state. Call your local town office or city hall.

I wanted to run my Rev 440 at some grass drags a couple years ago and I couldnt run it because it was a couple days that the town office was closed and couldnt register my sled. I agree also that thats dumb.

·
Registered
197 Posts
In IL I went to the currency exchange with mine what you need is a motor number,vin number,old registration number,old owners address and signature and 18 bucks your good to go also the dnr has a site with some info

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Here all you need is the ownership(says the VIN #, color, year, make and model of the sled along with the owner's name). And a bill of sale saying who sold it to who for X amount of dollars. You take that to the MTO (similar to your DMV) and you pay 13% tax of what you payed for it (according to the bill of sale) and then the ownership gets re-printed with your name on it.

Here, the motor in it doesn't matter for ownership preposes, as they don't care if your drop a 800 in a 440 chassis. They only care if that chassis (whole sled) is riding around out there...

If your sled has no VIN # here, you can't register it, motor # means nothing to them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts