Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes! I'm leacing in about 25 minutes to go and pick up my 1975 El Tigre 340. I heard these sleds were power houses back in the day, im excited to see if it has quad plugs or not. The guy gave it to me for 100 bucks, but he said it needs a CDI. I know ive read alot of post, so the first thing im going to do is pull the wires on the kill switch, then the ignition, anything else, o yea isnt it if the CDI is bad, when i pull it, the head lights wont light at all when pulling?
[attachment=51076]
3 of my sleds.
[attachment=51077]
side
[attachment=51078]
seat tank and dash, im thinking about paintin gthe tank chrome........
[attachment=51079]
Motor

Attachments

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i got the el tigre, it does look like the CDI, and it is a quad plug, its pretty sweet, im gonna get some pics prob on tuesday!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Cool post pics when you gey it. Are you sure they had cdi back in 75? I would think it had points.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope it def has a CDI, AC had them back in 73, i found it, and took it out already, and yup i marked the wires!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK I need help, how do i definetly know it is the CDI, or is their any way at all, i tryed starting it with the ignition and kill switch un plugged, still no luck, all help needed!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
If you pulled the CDI out, you're never going to get it to start. What makes you think it's the CDI?

I go with KISS every time. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Is there spark? If so, is it on both and do they fire at the same time? If you answer yes to both of those, 99% of the time your CDI is fine. They either work or they don't.( Like I said 99% of the time - I don't want someone jumping down my throat with a story)

Trim 1/4 inch off both ends of the wires and thread them back in.
Try new plugs.

If you have no spark - or intermittent spark I'd go to the coils in the stator. Get a manual or talk to someone who has a manual. They'll give you the values you need to test the coils under the flywheel. You don't need to take the flywheel off just yet. If the coils test out fine, then test out the external coils. Again, you'll need a manual. Also, check the plug wires. My old 76 TX would spit wires out of the external coil just for fun constantly.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks bryan, i have no spark, ever out of any of the 4 plug wires, since im getting a used one so cheap im just gonna try that, then jump to the coils, then take it to the sled shop cause its gonna irratate me...lol

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks bryan, ill look into that, im almost sure the coils arent bad, thanks though

1 - 10 of 10 Posts