Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last 15 years I've been riding newer machines. Since I found and joined Snowmobile Fanatics, I've been looking in my old manuals and any info I can find to help answer any questions. This really brings back good memories. Now I'm starting to get interested in finding some older race sleds to tinker and play with. I live in California and will probably have to travel if I find any. Thanks to everyone for bringing back the gold old times.
John

·
Registered
130 Posts
We're in the same boat... I hadn't planned on getting back into vintage sleds so soon, but found an old favorite in great shape and picked her up last month.

www.vintagesleds.com is THE vintage site. All the cool stuff is out in MN or WI though. Solvang? I'm in CA too, but at least I have snow. [:D]

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of these days when I retire I'm gonna move up to the mountains. For now I just trailer to Bear River or Mammoth. We have a trip to Mammoth in 2 weeks. Hope they get more snow! Nice Polaris. Is that a Colt I had one when I lived back east. We took a 500 Chaparral and crammed it in. Fun little sled to ride. Try this site also, it's awesome!http://www.vintagesnowmobiles.50megs.com/BROCHURES.html

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Great sites.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I would love to get into vintage sleds. I would like to have two or three of a similar model so that when friends visit, we can all go riding on them together. I would probably build a racetrack in my yard for them, too. I just don't know if I can justify the time and money right now. Every once in a while you will see an ad in the paper for a couple vintage sleds. I should just answer one.

·
Registered
136 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would love to get into vintage sleds. I would like to have two or three of a similar model so that when friends visit, we can all go riding on them together. I would probably build a racetrack in my yard for them, too. I just don't know if I can justify the time and money right now. Every once in a while you will see an ad in the paper for a couple vintage sleds. I should just answer one.
Heck ya JD, you should check up on the ads. I find where I live people are not too knowledgable about what machine they own. Unless you are dealing with an original owner most folks don't have a clue. I saw an ad for a 1979 chapparal and who would not call an ad like that? Ended up it was a 72 firebird.

The thing to remember is you never know what folks got in their barns. The best time to buy an old sled is in the off season. Many women will bitch about seeing the stuff they love to call 'junk' which just takes up space.

Many times a seller will treat you right. You might end up with a whole package deal for next to nothing just so the poor guy keeps his 'better half' happy [?]

Love the race track idea too!

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Be Careful, that the vintage disease don't get you, and you will end up like the rest of us.

You will start with one, then two, Oh he**, I hope you have a lot's of storage.

[attachment=55227][attachment=55233]
[attachment=55237][attachment=55238]

GOOD OLD MEMORY'S
[attachment=55240][attachment=55241]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
^^nice sleds. ya the old ones are fun to hop onto and see how the technology and such have changed. brings ya back to the good ol days (says my dad, i dont no what the doog ol times were, lol)

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
It is also possible to get the disease from hanging around others who are infected isn't it snowattitude?? LOL [:D]

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
No, at least I can't think of anyone off hand.[;)]

Other sites: Retrosno.
Davids sleds, vintage snowmobile,same
Old Iron
american snowmobiler
vintage sleds, out of MN

·
Registered
136 Posts
SnowAttitiude is right hope you got storage. Old sleds are neat mainly becuase so many companies threw their gloves into the arena. It is fascinating how companies kept up with the innovations. Shame the big companies raised the stakes or bought out their bigger competition. I have over fifty complete sleds and My first ride in 1999 on my neighbors newly aquired 71 ski doo skandic. Got serious about tracking down the oldies in my areas ever since that old onelunger, best year besides 2006 being like thirty sleds was 2004 with a solid two dozen drug back home.

·
Registered
291 Posts
yes its a disease got this 76 from a friend a week ago expecting to work on it here and there and get it ready to vintage ice race next year...well guess what it will be ready for the TRF race next weekend![:D]
[attachment=55814]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I acquired the disease at a young age because of listening to my dad talk about the good old days. Brought home my pride and joy about 3 years ago now. Always wanted one since my dad told me about them. He owned one when he was my age. Now I just need to find a Raider like he had and I will be happy. (for awhile)

[attachment=16147]

[attachment=12204]

[attachment=16146]

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Originally posted by the_hog
[br]I acquired the disease at a young age because of listening to my dad talk about the good old days. Brought home my pride and joy about 3 years ago now. Always wanted one since my dad told me about them. He owned one when he was my age. Now I just need to find a Raider like he had and I will be happy. (for awhile)

buddy of mine has two of these first liquid cooled sled[8D]

[attachment=16147]

[attachment=12204]

[attachment=16146]

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
well good luck to you Melhalco if there is ant vintage sleds you are looking for just let me know i get handed them on a pretty good basis
As a matter of fact I had to pay 50 bucks for it but I think it was well worth it
a Bolens Diablo Rouge with a 300 sachs and its almost in perfect shape

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey CrazyMountainGuy,
I would definitely take you up on your offer but I'm all the way out here in California. When I lived in Ohio before I moved here 16 years ago all I owned were pre 1975 sleds. I think I owned over 35 sleds throughout the years. My last year in Ohio I had two 75 Arctic Cat Z's. A 340 and a 440. It killed me to sell them before I moved. I think I sold them for $750 each and they were next to mint. I grass dragged them and they were dialed in perfectly. Now when I see them on Ebay going for over $1500 I almost cry.

·
Registered
136 Posts
well good luck to you Melhalco if there is any vintage sleds you are looking for just let me know i get handed them on a pretty good basis
As a matter of fact I had to pay 50 bucks for it but I think it was well worth it
a Bolens Diablo Rouge with a 300 sachs and its almost in perfect shape
A Diablo Rouge for a $50 is a nice find. got some pics?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Snowattitude is that a NORTHWAY I see in those pictures with a gray hood?
Jim as far as the pictures of the Diablo No i have not got any of as yet but keep checking back in fact I have not even touched it
Picked up another sled today that was a good find I was on my way home from my shop when I seen next to a guys garage an old Suzuki Nomad Im pretty sure its a 400 engine asked him about it and he said hell you want it take it.
busted my back putting it in the truck by myself but what a deal
Mehalco sorry to hear about the cats but I know how you feel I picked up alot of snowmobiles (course at the time I lived with my mom and dad)
I had a Chaparral Thunderbird, a 440 Eskimo (never have found another like it) but I have seen what Chaparrals go for and its insane what some of the older sleds go for
Take for instance whenever a guy comes to my shop looking for parts I almost always get offers on my Speedway Bluemax 600 that I bought when I was 15

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Heck CrazyMountainGuy, If I walked into your shop I would definitely make you an offer on the Speedway. I had a 73 340 and what a fun sled to ride. Just touch the throttle and the skis were off the ground. I think I need to move back east, but then I miss being able to go snowmobiling in the mountains with 45-55 degree temps. then come home the next and ride my motorcycle or go jet skiing at 75 degrees

1 - 20 of 26 Posts