Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[/size=5][navy][/navy][/font=Comic Sans MS]

Before the leaves need raking and all the other pre-winter chores need to be done, I have chosen to work on my sled (1998 Polaris Indy Ultra 680 Triple)
in September and October. I have had one too many occations playing mechanic when the weather is cold. . . frozen knuckles, tools etc. I am sure that anyone who has worked on "toys" when it's cold will agree that banged up fingers and knuckles hurt twice as much when one's hands thaw out.
I have already replaced the Hyfax and will continue with all of the other general maintainence preps in the coming weeks. I also plan to perform all necessary activites to assure that my two-place trailer is in tip top condition.
Anyway, I have a few questions that I hope will be answered by the knowledge and experience base on this dynamic web page!

Now for the questions:

My engine compartment is in need of some TLC, what is a good way to perform this task?

What is the best process by which rust can be dealt with . . . Navel Jelly/Cleaning/Sanding/Priming etc?

General Cleaning/Detailing? Hood, seat, windshield etc? What Products? Waxes, sealers etc?

I really don't want to spend the cash to cover my trailer. How effective are salt shields in combination with a sled cover? I plan to trailer my sled only twice. . . once up and once back.

I welcome any/all replies/comments!

Thanks,
Kimba466

·
Registered
837 Posts
i have found that orange oil works really good to clean the belly pan, and i had problem with salt last year and am getting rust on the suspension arms and what im going to do is install some large mud flaps for the winter, ones that almost touch the ground, and i think that will solve most of the problem, and it will probably cost about $30

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Check "cleaning your engine" under the general topic....

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
135 Posts
Go to a Honda dealer and get their cleaner/protector in a spray can. I do the whole outside of my sled with it. It works great, doesn't leave the seat slippery either. Best of all, it doesn't leave white wax around your decals on the sled. It cost about $6 a can. This stuff leaves my 97 Ultra looking good! I usually power wash my engine compartment out and usually add some armor all. I don't trailer my sled so rust isn't a problem, except for my pipes, which I need to repaint this year!

Runner

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yeah definately check the "engine cleaning" post in the general section. I've heard that spray on pledge works well on your hood and dash. I personally use this spray on wax made by Armorall. Just spray it on, and wipe it off. Leaves a brilliant finish and nothing left over in all the cracks or edges of stickers and such.

I just use a regular window cleaner (Windex) on my windshield.

As for your rust situation, I guess it depends on how much you have, and how bad it is. Sanding and painting is certainly an opption. For rust prevention, a lot of guys spray their engine, and shock shafts with WD-40.

The salt gards.....well their better than having nothing. But if its real wet on the road way, and your traveling a good distance, your sled is still going to get covered with crap. Especially from the hood up. Another option (though you might look like you've got some sort of "Sanford and Son" snowmobile, is to completely cover your sled (and its cover) with a tarp, skis and all. Use lots of rope or bungees. It looks silly going down the road, but when you get to where your going to ride; your sled is still completely clean.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
For hoods, my 81 Trailcat is fiberglass, and 99 500 XC is that plastic, not sure what type, but I use Nu Finish car wax.
It is a teflon based polish that works great on fiberglass and plastic hoods.
Its really cheap at Wally-world, about $7 Cdn.
I made that old Trailcat's black hood shine like a mirror,
I also find that ice and snow will not stick as easy with that stuff on.
I just carefully run my fingernail around the decals to get rid of the white halo.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts