Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how the hell do you get the spindle back into the trailing arm/spindle housing? i got new bushings for the top and bottom, and when i try to slide the spindle back in, it gets about 1/2" onto the tapered part of it, then stops dead.. i have beat the Christ out of it with a sledge hammer & ruined my carbides, tapped it with a rubber mallet, put a ratchet strap around the ski and tied it to the back wall of my garage and it still wont go back in.. i even tried grinding a lil bit off the tapered shaft of the spindle and still nothing.. tried grease, oil, penetrating fluid, u name it for grease and it still gets stuck.. im about ready to cut the spindle in half with a torch.. P.O.S

·
Registered
33 Posts
Will the new bushings fit on the spindle without the bushings in the trailing arm? The lower bushing should have a larger inside diameter than the top one.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I had the same exact problem when I put new trailing arms on my Evolved chassis...I pretty much did the same thing you did, only farther. They went in all the way, and I got to the trail, hoping they would loosen up or something...guess what, they don't. You probably got the same ones I got out of dennis kirk, YOU HAVE TO SHAVE DOWN LITTLE BY LITTLE OF THE BUSHING UNTILL THE SPINDLE BARELY SLIDES IN!!! Sorry for the caps, but don't try riding that sled if you do get the spindles in! I almost wrecked mine doing 20 mph. All I had at the time was a cat-tail file, but if you can find something better, have at it. The important part is that you don't go too far shaving that bushing, or you'll be in the same boat as you were with loose bushings; not to mention that is the only thing keeping grease in and water out. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by MOTH
[br]Will the new bushings fit on the spindle without the bushings in the trailing arm? The lower bushing should have a larger inside diameter than the top one.
i can take the bushing and slide it down over the spindle all the way with it out of the sled.. once i pound the lower busing into the trailing arm/spindle housing, i can only get the spindle on about 1/8-1/4" onto the taper of the spindle... it still has to go another 1-1 1/4".. i will try shaving down the inside of the bushing a little with a dremel later on.. and to TrailRebel, i got the parts at a polaris dealer, they are original polaris part # 3574208 for the lower and 3573909 for the upper.. and the spindle fits perfect through the upper, but gets stuck in the bottom..

·
Registered
295 Posts
Im pretty sure he was meant to shave down the outside of the bushing
sounds to me like as soon as you install the bushing in the arm its squeezing it
making the hole too small ..(not so bad when your looking for a woman ) but bad when you are trying to fit a spindle in

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Mine went pretty easy too, but one had a litte burr on it that had to be filed off. I also had the problem with one side, where it kept pushing that plastic thing out of the top.
What are the chances that where the spindle goes into maybe has a small dent or some kind of obstruction in it?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
spindle isn't bent.. trailing arm/spindle housing isnt bent either..its really really weird.. im gonna try to dremel a little bit out of the center of the bushing and try again..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts