Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i started rippin apart the bike i bought this winter(rml85), i knew the motor was toast when i bought it, but i wasnt sure what it was. now that snowmobilingi s over and ive had some time to wrench on the bike i think its a little worse then i anticipated. i took some pics for you to look at and tell me what you think, sorry about the quality, but if you squint your eyes, and turn your head you can... the cylinder is scored right over the exhaust valves, with one gouge thats

deeper then the rest. there was also a bit of scoring on the intake side as well(maybe 3/8" wide). what do you think caused this? what do you guys think needs to be done to fix it?

to me it it looks like ill obviously need new piston and rings, and either the cylinder bored/honed, or re sleeved. i dont know for sure, because im new to all this, but i think these suzuki motors just need to be resleeved if you cant hone it out? there it one gouge that's noticeably deeper then the rest of the scoring. what do i need to do?

Auto part Rim Wheel

Auto part Bearing Ball bearing

Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Rim

· Registered
860 Posts
theyre may be some people on here able to help, but i would check out www.dirtbikefanatics.com they have some knowledgable people when it comes to durtbikes, check it out!

· Registered
455 Posts
Is it a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke, because it looks like a 2-stroke but you said something about an exhaust valve, unless you mean the exhaust port. But you will probably need new rings, maybe a new piston, and I would have the cylinder either re-sleeved or bored. Since you have it apart I would check everything else to make sure nothing else is too worn.

· Registered
4,283 Posts
to me looks like lean burndown. piston is junk rings junk honestly if its that bad ide rebuild the entire engine from the crank up. you dont know the life of that bike so i wouldnt rebuild the topend till the crank and rod are gone thru to make sure its a-ok

also looks like a new cylinder is needed

· Registered
3,226 Posts
it looks pretty toast. a rebuild would be a good idea. From around my area I am really lucky because after I got my Suzuki RM 250 and rebuilt it it has not had a problem since. my friends that have bikes have blown them up already this year it also helps me that I let the gears do the work and I am not full throttle every second unlike some people around hear that will run their 250 long distances in 3rd wide open and wonder why it blew

· Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MasterSkitelz said:
Is it a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke, because it looks like a 2-stroke but you said something about an exhaust valve, unless you mean the exhaust port. But you will probably need new rings, maybe a new piston, and I would have the cylinder either re-sleeved or bored. Since you have it apart I would check everything else to make sure nothing else is too worn.
its a 2-stroke. they are piston port exhaust, but its some kinda variable exhaust port.

· Registered
92 Posts
From the pics I can see there was either some foreign matter in the pistons like dirt. Or the problem was caused by an incorrect fuel/oil mix. Either one the rings and piston need to be replaced. And the cylinder will need to be either sleeved or honed out. Since you have the motor that far apart you might as well tear it down the rest of the way and rebuild the bottom end as well. Check the rod to shaft play and feel. Make sure there is no build up on the shaft. If it is a fuel/oil mix problem then there was not enough lubrication in the motor. With the aluminum rod and steel shaft the rod may cause build up on the crankshaft.

· Registered
537 Posts
Kawasaki_Kid said:
MasterSkitelz said:
its a 2-stroke. they are piston port exhaust, but its some kinda variable exhaust port.
They arent piston-port, they are case reed. It does have an exaust valve/powervalve, though.

· Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
barney said:
Kawasaki_Kid said:
MasterSkitelz said:
They arent piston-port, they are case reed. It does have an exaust valve/powervalve, though.
ohh, well then, i stand corrected. i got a price on replating, $325 canadian, the suzuki dealer wanted $540 for a new cyl:S!! i havent really looked on ebay yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.