Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking the plunge and finally getting my MX helmet, I got the chance to use it. I am very happy with it. My face wasn't cold at all. At faster speeds though I still got the wind head. I can adjust my head angle to that.

So to my question. I have the Smith Snow Warp Star goggles. They came with the smoke lens. It was great for bright sun in the afternoon, but early morning and overcast it was less then favorable. I have a second pair of Smith Fuel goggles in yellow that I have not worn yet becasue I am waiting for the snow mask. I am guessing they will be good for night riding and low light.

What are you guys using during low light or night riding? A simple clear lens?

How are the rose and the blue lenses?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I use progrip light sensetive lens. They work great from high sun to darkness.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I run with the yellow lens, great during the night, over cast, but a bright sunny day with fresh snow every where its not the easiest to see little obstacles in the snow directly infront of you when riding into the sun, but its rideable, most new jackets have a goggle pocket in the arm, just carry them around with ya, one for the day one for the night, plus if your playing around and get a small crack in one of the lens they will fog, stay fogged and freeze, then the second pair comes in hand.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by snowcross4e
[br]I run with the yellow lens, great during the night, over cast, but a bright sunny day with fresh snow every where its not the easiest to see little obstacles in the snow directly infront of you when riding into the sun, but its rideable, most new jackets have a goggle pocket in the arm, just carry them around with ya, one for the day one for the night, plus if your playing around and get a small crack in one of the lens they will fog, stay fogged and freeze, then the second pair comes in hand.
Your pretty close to me, how much snow did ya get? Check out the WNY snow thread in the snow conditions forum.

·
Registered
32 Posts
YEAH ALREADY POSTED, MY HOUSE HAS ABOUT 8" LIVE AT THE CORNER OF SOUTH WESTERN AND TRANSIT WHERE THEY ARE PUTING IN THAT GOLF COURSE, WAS RUNNING AROUND CHEASTNUT RIDGE LAST NIGHT, AT ABOUT 10PM THEY HAD 12" ALREADY

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well welcome to the board! Good to have more NYer's around to post conditions.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I recomend yellow for grey days and night riding they reall maximize the light and terrain... for bright days stick with your smoke lenses, I would carry both pairs at all times, just throw one set in the trunk.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats the way I have it now. I have the spare pair shoved in my spare gloves until I have a nice case to keep them in.

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
I've heard positive notes about the light sensitive lenses...may have to try those out sometime.

Personally though, I use Amp Blue lenses. They seem to be relatively good all around...I'm on my third set. I have tried yellow as well. I didn't like them as much, though they were nice for the darker days...

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]I use progrip light sensetive lens. They work great from high sun to darkness.
Another vote here for Progrips light sensitive lenses.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have scott 89xi turbos with the amp rose lense and they are awesome. I wasn't sure about night riding, but they were perfect.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use Scott turbos with Quick Straps. Lenses are interechangable. Yellow and Clear for Flat light, Blue for overcast or night, and Amber (orange) for Sunny and Spring riding

·
Registered
409 Posts
I run a hjc mx helmet with either Oakley wisdoms, or Oakley a-frames. both lenses have worked well in any condition for me!!
[attachment=58383][attachment=58384]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It seems like everyone prefers a different lens. Interesting.....maybe I'll wait until I get a chance to run with the yellow on at night to see if I buy any more lenses. I like the looks of the blue, but they have to work well too.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I have an amber lens and an amp blue lens that I've used. I favor the amber lens in all conditions. The blue one seemed to 'hide' terrain changes. Of course, I've had lens replacement surgery in both eyes since I used the blue lens, so that may have changed... I haven't tried it yet this year. I also have an amp rose lens that I still haven't tried... still has the protective coating on it.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Yellow is the best for night riding and for flat light. A lot of people really speak highly of the rose lenses. They say it gives you the best contrast between cutting down glare but letting enough light in to allow you to read the terrain.
I always wore amp blue lenses and they work great anytime other than at night. I found them to be too dark for night riding.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I keep it simple so I can see in all conditions, Clear. I hate the amber ones. I find that in dusk condtions I have a real hard time seeing depth and shadows. Just my .02

·
Registered
901 Posts
i have two different pairs of rose colored googles and they havent failed me yet. they aint bad to ride at night either but some people will tell you different

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
i have scotts hivoltage blue and rose, so far i prefer the blue except at dusk or dawn. the rose seems to work better for me in grey light. i also have a yellow lens that i only tried once on a cloudy day so i can nto say how it work in the rest of the conditions.

cheers

1 - 20 of 27 Posts