Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95 Arctic Cat 580, 1200 or 2500 miles or something like that. New hyfax, studs been on for about 5 rides and thats it. He took the carbs off cleaned it, and never put it back on. Just hasn't had time to do it. Clutch is good as well. Track in good condition, stored inside.

Wants $500 for it since he needs the cash bad.

How do these ride? Suspension decent? Pick up and go/speed? How hard is it to put the carb back on it? Does it drink fuel like a monster or is it decent? Belt cost? Access to parts/addons?

Not sure if its EFI (unless they all are). He said the oil and fuel is separate so

Coming from my 2004 Polaris XC 800 to this. Lighter hopefully as well. Easier to start.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Going backwards 9 years? For less power? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
Going backwards 9 years? For less power? Am I missing something?
Yep, got rid of it. Was off work, plus last ride last year a LOT of things went wrong with the engine, clutch cooling system etc. Just not worth it.

I can't afford much right now so...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Ok that is understandable. I think the ride will be disappointing, I don't believe Arctic Cat got into longer travel suspensions until the late '90s.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
$500 seems good...
but the bad thing about buying sleds that dont run...... Well, they dont run,
dont have a chance to see what works, listen to the motor.

·
Registered
844 Posts
PolarisHockey9019 said:
He took the carbs off cleaned it, and never put it back on.

How hard is it to put the carb back on it?

Not sure if its EFI.
I would have to guess that it is not EFI.
All Cats with carbs are not[:eek:)]

·
Registered
140 Posts
580's are pretty dam good sleds for there age, and yes long travel suspension did not come out until 1997. Add ons for a 580 are extremely hard to find, all you can really do is a clutch kit, pipe, and a silencer for a 1998 zr 600 will work on it. other than that the only ways to get more power out of a 580 is internal engine work. They are hard on fuel if you work them but if you plan on riding trails it wont be bad. The 580 engine is also a piston port so dont expect it to be snappy in any way.. unless you port and polish. belts will be the same cost as your old sled pretty much. the 580's are actually a light sled, and easy to throw around, and they hold the trail fairly well, but with the stock skis they will dart and track like crazy, so your best mod for trail riding is plastic skis and carbide runners. hope this helps

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
crazyredneck55 said:
580's are pretty dam good sleds for there age, and yes long travel suspension did not come out until 1997. Add ons for a 580 are extremely hard to find, all you can really do is a clutch kit, pipe, and a silencer for a 1998 zr 600 will work on it. other than that the only ways to get more power out of a 580 is internal engine work. They are hard on fuel if you work them but if you plan on riding trails it wont be bad. The 580 engine is also a piston port so dont expect it to be snappy in any way.. unless you port and polish. belts will be the same cost as your old sled pretty much. the 580's are actually a light sled, and easy to throw around, and they hold the trail fairly well, but with the stock skis they will dart and track like crazy, so your best mod for trail riding is plastic skis and carbide runners. hope this helps
Thanks. Already has brand new skis and I have the carbides

·
Registered
844 Posts
PolarisHockey9019 said:
Only thing that doesn't work is the speedo. Put new line on it and it won't read but thats an easy fix I'm sure

Non working speedo is usually a good indicator of bad drive bearings.
Pull the speedo drive assembly off, and see if the "key" is broken.
If so, its either bad bearings, or the gears are froze up.
Try turning them by hand before replaceing drive bearings.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The 580 were strong motors. if it has carbs then it is not EFI. 500 is a good price as long as everything is in decent condition. They handle like they are on rails and will keep up with most 600s

·
Registered
664 Posts
That's a very good cost to fun ratio, you can't even buy a retail iPhone for that I'd say go for it providing it's not neglected crap

1 - 13 of 13 Posts