Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Will it be his first time riding the sled? if so get a smaller cc. (ie. 300 to 340) to start off with. If he is really good rider you and your son can pick out a apportiate sled for him to match his riding skill. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i'd pick up and older wedge style XCR 440, or XCF 440, and put a throttle stop on it so you can adjust it as he gets better., great sleds, super reliable, lots of parts around for them too. I've seen them for as little as $400 around here structurally sound, but not aesthetically pleasing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
yeah, my friend has a 14 year old that rides a 2000 XCR 800, with a throttle stop. now, i don't think a 14 year old has any buisness riding a sled like that when he has a hard time starting in on a -10 degree day, and needs dad but it works out okay. just too much power imo. what about an 01-02 snopro 440 or pro X?

·
Registered
325 Posts
does he have any experience riding a bigger sled?

you might as well ask him what he thinks he can handle.

I went from a '79 jag 340 to a '99 xc 500 when I was 13.

·
Registered
61 Posts
99Polaris500 said:
does he have any experience riding a bigger sled?

you might as well ask him what he thinks he can handle.

I went from a '79 jag 340 to a '99 xc 500 when I was 13.

just because 'you think you can handle it' doesn't mean you should have it. i know another guy who's 15 year old son was riding an XC 440, handled that okay for 3 years, the next season they swapped an 700 in it, and he ended up running it into a tree trying to be cool on tug hill.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
When i was 12 I got a xlt. It was had more power than I needed. Now its perfect. Mabey use a throttle stop.

·
Registered
695 Posts
like every one said ask him what he thinks he can handle and go from there when i was 12 i had a ski-doo 380 but the next summer jumped p to my 600 and had no problem Handling it. but the kid i ride with went from a 380 to a 550 fan witch is also enough power.seeing as he rode cat before maybe an f5 if you have the money or if if you want a different brand ten a n early 2000's doo mxz 500 (non ss) or a Polaris 500 xc would work too

·
Registered
380 Posts
bam290 said:
what is a good sled for my 13 yr old son
a skidoo citation is a good one, reliable and kinda zippy for what they are

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
all this also depends what youre looking to spend. ive always been a big fan of the indy 500s. theyre excellent all around sleds. and can find them cheap-expensive depending on what year/options etc you want.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My 12 year old started riding my old 89 indy 500 when he was 9, with a throtle block in it....
not only is it the perfect size/weight for a beginner, but parts are available everywere, and we have had a blast modding it together.
Good quality time. nothin has not been torn apart, from suspension to engine rebuild. lots of pics in my profile page.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If he rides it he gets it started by himself and unstuck by himself. Those were the rules when I rode with my cousins and it sticks for anyone I ride with.

The problem these days is no one offers a good starter sled for anyone that is young but over four feet tall. The 120's are toys and I wouldn't put a kid on anything that is considered "bottom of the line".

Find an old Bravo, Elan, Citation LS, Tundra, Indy lite (250 or 340).

It might sound harsh, but I have no problem leaving a kid stuck on the trail if his parents gave him a sled he can't control (thats why he is stuck) or get out when it gets buried. Unless it is a life or death situation. They hopefully are smart enough to put one foot in front of the other and walk home before they freeze.

·
Registered
220 Posts
bam290 said:
what is a good sled for my 13 yr old son
Just about anything under $1500 and 100 h.p.
The cost and horsepower should be kept to a minimum.
Warning; I've had lots of issues with my 488 Polaris.
Carbs must be tuned, cleaned, and checked for oil delivery religously.
Or you will melt pistons!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
ya, you do not want to get anything to nice because there is a chance he will crash it.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
zecow224 said:
ya, you do not want to get anything to nice because there is a chance he will crash it.
Agreed. Same reason why you don't buy your 16 year old kid a brand new car

·
Registered
242 Posts
when i started Riding in 2000 i was given a 440 JAG... it was alot of Fun to drive untill i gain enough experience and went to a 2002 500 XCSP, which was alot more sled to handle but i respected the sled.....and then in 2006 i got my Dragon

So for your 13 yr old get something cheep and doesnt have alot of power, that way he will not be tempted to show off if he had a more powerful sled

just my thoughts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Bam i live in Illinois. Ive got a 85 indy trail 440f/c. I will take 300 for it. It aint pretty, but the damn thing runs well. If interest pm me. I think any 440f/c is a killer sled to learn on. Then go to 500 and then tripp tripp!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts