Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think being prepared as these guys were is very important. Had those guys not had their packs with the proper tools their friends would have been hauling 3 guys off the mountain in body bags.

http://www.craigdailypress.com/news/2011/jan/05/3-snowmobilers-withstand-frigid-elements-night-bla/

I was with Quinlan, Blackcat, RMK-KING, and BOS_5 on a trip out in Yellowstone right before Christmas. we all joked around the night we checked into our hotel about the weights of our backpacks, but non of us unloaded anything that we had packed. I'm relatively sure between the 5 of us we had enough in our backpacks to survive an injury or a night stranded somewhere as comfortable as the outdoors would allow.

As a group it wasn't really even mentioned that we all had to have beacons, but we all did, and we all knew how to use them. Quinlan and RMK both have taken the Duffy avalanche class. Some guys might blow this off, but as we get further into the season and the snow piles up the avalanche danger becomes significantly higher. The avy gear may be expensive, but the cost of my life or any of the other guys' lives are priceless to me. If you guys are going west and if you haven't already had this discussion with your group, don't be afraid to be the one to bring up beacons and other avalanche gear. Times are changing on the hills, I've been going west since 2003. My first year I took a 110 horsepower sled with a 136 inch track, now we're riding 150-300 horsepower sleds with 155+ tracks on them. We never really were concerned about avalanches or being stranded out over night because a person couldn't really get themselves into trouble. Now you can be a novice rider, riding a big sled and end up in a lot of situations that can be very dangerous so having the right equipment is pretty key in my opinion. Most places rent avalanche equipment, packs, beacons, and probes for $10-20/day.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
I think it's a good read for everyone when articles like this surface a few times a year. It just goes to show that even the most experienced of riders in a known area can have problems.

I always made wise cracks about how heavy my backpack was for riding out West, but I always put it on. The survival gear is just like the avalanche gear...you hope to never use it, but carry it just in case...it's all part of the game. I ultimately don't know how prepared I am, but I like to think I have enough items to get me through a night in the back country. I think every year I find something else to add to my pack.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quinlan said:
I think every year I find something else to add to my pack.
This year you must've added lead to the list of things to add to your pack...

I remember the first couple years we went to Togwottee the only thing we carried was a poweraide, package of trail mix, and beef jerky in the seats, one guy had a tunnel bag with the camera and a sno-bunge. The game is a little different now.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
flatlander_summit said:
This year you must've added lead to the list of things you add to your pack...
Naw, that was just my tool kit since I knew we had a Ski-Don't coming with this year. [thumb]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts