Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a lot of reading up on this program and it seems VERY interesting and effective. I am thinking of doing some testing. If you scroll to the bottom of this linnk, http://www.burningsoulsforum.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7446 you can see what an ad would look like, can be color customized and doesn't hurt loading times all that much because it is text based. I was thinking of putting an ad in the topic.asp file like this, or perhaps on the whole site and as users, if you had lets say...over so many posts or reached a certain status on the forum I would allow you to disable the ads in your own little control panel so you would not need to view them.

I know I have always said no advertising but I have some to a conclusion. This is google, they are good...and ads would be related to all the kinds of things that we talk about around here. It actually searches the page you are on for keywords and stuff, then returns an ad that is related to that page.

So you guys mind if I test this out a bit? I am not sure if it will be "for sure" or anything, but I would like to see the potential Click Throughs and impressions we could get, as well as if it would be worth it depending on what kind of revenue is generated by it.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
sounds aight to me, might even be useful once in awhile....

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I still hate ads, but that's a nice alternative. I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
It's not gonna end up with us getting popups is it? I would hate to see the site go down that road. It's your site. I think you should try what you want.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, not any pop ups. Those are evil. Either way I want to at least test for about a month or so, see what kind of revenue can be generated, if it isn't that good I will just remove it. No biggy. I kinda want to keep an ad free site. I am just stuck on what to do. [:(]

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Another way to allow a member to opt out, would be to make a contribution to the site.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
how does google decide what you earn?

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
if it actually gives us useful links, it would be nice, but if they are unneseceary, i say screw it

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know how they decide what amount I earn, that is why I want to experiment a little to see if it is actually worth it.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is adsense? It is a program where anyone can submit thier sites, the coverage they want, and they pay for whatever coverage they want....that is one end of it...the other end is the people that put these ads on thier site. Example, here...I would put the ads on here and per view or click of the ads by a user on the site I get so much for...not sure of what the amount is though. So google is like the middle man here, the sellers are the people displaying ads, and the buyers are the ones paying to have thier ads displayed. The way it would be set up here is this site being the seller. This is however unlike any other ad program. The google spider software first seaches the page then determines what kind of content is on it via key words and displays ads that will most likely interest the users.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well might as well scrap the whole idea unless you guys don't mind me trying it for a week so I know as a basis what kind of income could be made for the site.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I went ahead and added a banner to the bottom of the page if you are on Snowmobile Fanatics. [red]NOTE: This will only be here for a few days to a week or so. This is so I can see what kind of results we can see, what kind of ads are being served, and the accuracy of those ads pertaining to what we discuss here. Please, if you feel you do not like this ad, please let me know. I will take ALL considerations seriously.[/red]

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Hmm...if you get paid a certain amount per ad that we click on, what if we get a rally together and we all click on the links like mad men so you can generate some $$$ and then we'll just continue on our daily lives afterward? [;)]

The next time you get low on $$$ just make a post telling everyone to click on them furiously again....LOL! If that's all it takes, i'll do it. [:eek:)]

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I dunno if that can or should be done....google is very strict and I wouldn't want to do that.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hmm. Well some of the ads are related... I saw some skidoo and honda ads... but then theres some like this...ROI Tracking $19.99/month
Track ROI on each PPC keyterm email or banner

Dunno what that relates to...

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i dont see any ads....

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i see ads, i dont like it, has nothing to do with sleds most the time

1 - 20 of 31 Posts