Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting 2 more sleds. I'm going to pick up another 78 Jag 340 F/A tomorrow. The motor is froze up on it, the PTO side seems to be free but the MAG side is locked up. Owner says it may be a ring? Says it was running last year when put away. I'll be digging into that one on Wed.
The 2nd sled is a 1980 Trail Cat. It's getting delivered next Monday. Great looking sled, only needs a windshield and SNOW!!!!!!!!
I'll post pics after I get them here!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Yeah, NO SNOW.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Originally posted by racohoon
[br]Yeah--I THINK I MAY HAVE A PROBLEM!?!?!!
Nope dude, vintage sleds are the way to go, i have 5 right now
1985 Polaris SS 440
1980 Yamaha Enticer 250
1978 AC El Tigre 5000
1975 El Tigre 340quad plug
1972 Sno Jet
And im looking to get 2 more in Jan or feb, 78 pantera, and a 72 Panther 303 wankel!!!
O yea, let me know if you wanna sell any of your sleds in like feb or march, i got a friend coming up that way, could pick them up.....just curios, could always use a jag[:p]

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually the 76 Jag is for sale--it's on E-bay right now. Has the chrome tank on it. Auction # 16001501529 If you want it buy it-- pay for it and you can come get it when you can. If it will be Jan/Feb I'll keep it fired up occassionally for you. It's up to you but the offer is there for you.

·
Registered
288 Posts
sounds like some nice sleds, what engine does the trail cat have, and do you know what carb is on the jag 340?

·
Registered
580 Posts
weakest part of the trail cat is the cleated track. a little scarey going down the road at 50. back end wants to pass up the front end. rode nice on the trails though. early attempt at independent front suspension. mine actually had spark plug/head temp gauges.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mastercam-- I believe it's a mikuni or whatever was stock, I'll check in a little bit. It looks just like the one on both my 78 & both 79's. I just got home w/ the other 79 I bought. I'm going back out in a half hour to unload it and I'll check the 76 for ya.
If you need a make or # off the carb let me know. As for the Trail Cat, I do not know if it has the 340 or the 440 or if it is oil injected or mix. I don't even care- this thing is in awesome shape for $325.00 w/ a brand new track (not used) w/ less than 200 mi. on it! It runs great, sounds great and it's getting delivered to me--for that kind of money I'd have to have my a$$ jacked if I passed it up. I've been trying to get one of these for 2 yrs. and everybody keeps outbidding me on E-bay--so I had to get sneaky and do some hard looking at all kinds of snowmobile ads online--even ones that weren't AC. That's how I found this one, it was included for sale in an ad for a Ski-doo. The guy just posted both in the same ad to save him $ from having to post a 2nd ad. The only problem was that it didn't include the Trail Cat in the ad's headline, just the Ski-doo. All I have to say is--LUCKY ME-LUCKY ME!! All it needs is a windshield to be 100% & needing nothing else! I'd place it at about a 7 out of 10. Paint is a little, scuffs in the decals and a little surface rust on the skis.

Snowolf-- I know what you mean. All 3 of these Jags sound like their going to explode on hard pack @ top speed. I believe the Jags & Trail Cats have the same identical cleated track from like 77 or 78 up 81 or newer. I'm not sure of the exact years, but it's something in that area if I remember correctly. I'd have to check the part #'s on Alpha sports to be 100% positive.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the heads off. The piston on the pull start side seemed to be free, however the piston on the clutch side was seized. I tapped gently on it w/ the ratchet handle when I removed the head & it actually broke free. I noticed both heads had 2 head gaskets so I removed them and installed 1 new one on each cylinder. It actually doesn't sound very good. I think the pistons are slapping against the heads. It almost fires, but won't catch. It has excellent spark! I checked the compression and it isn't pretty. 45 psi on the pull start side and 75 psi on the clutch side. I can see silicone all over the engine seal below the clutch.
Does anybody know the torque specs for the head bolts? What sholud the gap be on the plugs?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
0.035 for the sleds with CDI and 0.018 for th sleds with breaker points.
The heads should be torqued to 18ft/lbs and re-torqued after it has been run long enough to get properly warmed up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought .035 was a good place to start. That's what I gapped them @ last night, also torqued the head gaskets to 19ft/lbs. I was going from memeory (what's left of it!)
I didn't figure it would run w/ those compression #'s.
I tore the carb apart,cleaned it and reinstalled. you can see it try to pull fuel to the carb when you pull the rope, but just doesn't have enough left in her to get it over half way there.

The cylinder walls looked really good,no scratches. However the piston tops and the inside of the heads look like something had bounced around in there. I thought they should be smooth but these look like a bad casting/mold or someone took a picture of some tiny craters on the moon! I'm wondering if the rings didn't come apart or suffer a meltdown. I'm going to pull the motor later today and start tearing it down.
Anyway, I aslo notice that the tailight & headlight don't attempt to light when it's pulled over. I'll be checking the bulbs,but if they are ok what else could be the problem? Would a bad voltage regulator cause them not to light or would it be the internal lighting coil? Any way to test the old coil when I have it apart so I know if it needs to be replaced? There is no ignition key/switch either (I don't know if it matters-since I have spark-I assumed the lights would work too) The wires are there w/ the connectors and isn't butchered so I just need to replace the switch and hook it up.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
When you have the engine out, use a charger or a battery to test the circuits.
That makes it a lot easier to test than to try to have the engine running to do it.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
The book that I am using is the Snowmobile service manual 10th edition by Intertec.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is it for a single model/year-specific or does it cover several models of AC?
I keep watching them on e-bay, but I don't want to have to have 4 or 5 different books (1 for each model/year) if I don't have to.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Originally posted by racohoon
[br]Let's see if this works. If it does this is the 80 Trail Cat
[attachment=52151]
[attachment=52155]
[attachment=52157]
Thats a 79 trailcat not an 80 the 80 had 3 stripes

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts