Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure of the year yet.I was at this older guys house and noticed a pair of skis sticking out of an old canvas tarp.So I asked him if he rides and he said not anymore that he used to years ago.I asked what he had under the tarp and he told me an old snojet,that hasn't been run for about ten years.Like a crow I circling I asked what he was going to do with it ,and he looks at me like I was crazy and says if you can get it out of there you can have it!This thing looks pretty complete and the motor still pulls over pretty freely.Don't know what I just got myself into but this little guy looks pretty cool!!So any info would be helpful??I'll try to get a pic up here..

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
They used to be one of the most popular sleds around here in the late 60s and early seventies.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Originally posted by makk98
[br]not sure of the year yet.I was at this older guys house and noticed a pair of skis sticking out of an old canvas tarp.So I asked him if he rides and he said not anymore that he used to years ago.I asked what he had under the tarp and he told me an old snojet,that hasn't been run for about ten years.Like a crow I circling I asked what he was going to do with it ,and he looks at me like I was crazy and says if you can get it out of there you can have it!This thing looks pretty complete and the motor still pulls over pretty freely.Don't know what I just got myself into but this little guy looks pretty cool!!So any info would be helpful??I'll try to get a pic up here..
i noticed your in mass.... Me too any old sled for free is a sweet find especially a sno jet Free air. lets see those pics. im an avid sno jet fan my self. going to pick up a 643 powered prototypesno jet in NY this weekend. you can see the pics of it in the "lookie what i bought" thread. does it look like that except with an opening in the hood in the middle where you can see the motor fins?

what part of mass are you in?

i wouldnt go running that motor just yet untill you at least inspect the bores for rust and oil the bearings ect.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^EXACTLY

I've seen many engine just "put gas in and run her, then she burned down 3 miles later". Spend the $50 on a gasket set and tear the engine down. Rings get stuck, bores get rusty. It's been sitting for 10+ years, anything rubber should be replaced. Spend the little money now, instead of big money later.

Bryan

·
Registered
42 Posts
Agree with ibreakstuff. After 10 yrs. of sitting you may have already done some damage by pulling it over. Most Sno Jets used Yamaha engines. Gaskets still readily available. Best approach to an engine left un-used for years is to pull the heads, check out the bore, squirt lots of WD-40 at the rings. Let sit for a while and then pull the jugs. Plan on having to rebuild the carb and fuel pump. Good Luck!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[attachment=55385][attachment=55386][attachment=55387][attachment=55388]

these are the first pics I took but camera is having a dry out period so i dont know when I can get the others up..

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how do you get pics up so there in the post without having to click on the file??
never mind i guess it just takes a bit..haha[:p]

·
Registered
6 Posts
not sure what year that is but those hirth motors are fantastic. we fixed one up last year and put it in an old lynx chassis and raced it to the handlebars for 50 laps around a 2 mile track and she started in three pulls when i started it for the first time since then. more than half of the sleds in that race never crossed the finish line.

·
Registered
136 Posts
hard to tell by the couple pics but go to blakes sno jet page it will help you ID it.

Gonna say it is a 70 starjet with the 300cc hirth cant see too much of the hood/sled.
Daves picture site has brochures that can help you figure it out better too.
What up with the lynx? I have a few extra sno jet parts that may be of use to you. I live in CT. I like cats too.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Originally posted by jimlang
[br]hard to tell by the couple pics but go to blakes sno jet page it will help you ID it.

Gonna say it is a 70 starjet with the 300cc hirth cant see too much of the hood/sled.
Daves picture site has brochures that can help you figure it out better too.
What up with the lynx? I have a few extra sno jet parts that may be of use to you. I live in CT. I like cats too.
I say 71[}:)][:p]

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
someone I know looked at it and said its probably a 68-69 but there not positive

1 - 14 of 14 Posts