Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all - i have a generic version of a GPS unit not top of the line but it works. I am thinking of stepping up into a different one. For those of you who ride with one can you tell me a model or brand to use purchase. I have a Garmin 45 now. Please respond. KOW

·
Registered
841 Posts
It all depends on what you want it for. This might not help but I would go to the store and start comparing features. Like every other electronic gadget, they change all the time and it's hard to keep up. I have a Magellan, Explorist 400, which has worked excellent for what I want. The storage space is expandable to what ever size card you install. Also watch the battery setup. The 400 has a rechargable flat battery (about an inch square) and lasts for a long time. A few ridin buddies have cheaper units that use AA batteries and they are always running out of power.
Last weekend, we put on 50 miles of bush riding, and we used the GPS to guide us back to the truck. I never leave home without it.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Check here ...
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57320

a nice lengthy discussion on GPS units just took place last week.

I just bought a Garmin eTrex Legend and am still trying to figure it all out.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Yes, check the link 95XCR600 posted. I bought one a week or so ago...ended up getting a Garmin eTrex Legend C. I wish now I would have gotten the Cx (the expandable memory version) but other than that I have absolutely no complaints with it...yet.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
I also have the Garmin Legend and love it for what I use it for. Can't beat the price with the features.

There is no expandable memory but I have yet to wish that I had more memory. I have it attached to my laptop on really long trips (12 hr drives)so no biggy to me.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Below is what I posted in the other thread. I rode 63 miles today from my house. It's cool coming back and uploading the ride info from the GPS, looking at the tracks of where I all rode, and some info from the ride:

63.2 - Trip Miles
99.2 mph - Max Speed
28.6 mph - Average Moving Speed
2 hr. 12 min - Moving Time

--from other thread--
I have a Garmin 276C

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap276c/

It's a marine unit, which I got because it can handle the elements well (submersable even) and has the larger screen. I had no problems with the cold, even in some nasty cold stuff in the U.P. one night last year, and it is up there on my F7 bars. The battery has lasted me 8 hours riding out in the cold before recharging (though, I will plug it in for dinner stops and stuff if I can. This year I may hook up the DC.) The 256 color screen also adjusts nicely for seeing in the daylight (vs. a full color PDA type monitor).

I have it rail mounted on my right bar right in front of me. Handles all the bumps, even the rough stuff. I got tracks for it online (tracks are like routes people have gone on) for a bunch of trails, and made a bunch of my own too. So my trail map is usually all on the GPS, plus forest roads and everything for shortcuts, gas, food, etc.

It helps a lot and is a fun toy too. You can totally set up your trip on the PC and load routes an tracks on the unit, and back on to the PC when you're done with the trip (neat to track where you rode that day). Keeps track of top speed, how much time moving, how much times stopped, average speed, time, bearing, distance to next waypoint or destination, etc, all kinds of stuff. (Not necessary info but it's pretty neat to know.)

The pics they show at that link aren't very good. I have the Topo map software and it's very detail topograffic, off-road mapping.

That suggested retail at that link is way off - I got mine for $390.00, but it was a floor model. I love it. (I use it for my work too, so it was a write-off ;) It is a bit pricey, but I wanted the big screen and all the features.

Actually, I think the 276C is the old model, replaced by the 376C, so if you can find a 276, you might be able to get a deal.

Let me know if you have any questions about it. I totally recommend it - like I said, a bit pricey, but you can use it for hunting, marine, hiking, auto trips, whatever. Good unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts