Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have decided to buy a GPS for my sled cause sometimes sometimes I forget where I am going or where I have been [beerbelly]. I want one that will work well in cold weather with out having it freeze up and shut down or have the screen go all kitty-whompus on me. I want to stick with Garmin because thats what I have installed in my car in conjunction with my double DIN head unit and it has grown on me. What does everyone else use? Where is a good place to get maps? Anything helps, THANKS!

and this smiley guy poking a bee hive with a stick is just a smiley guy poking a bee hive with a stik............. enjoy.
[amazon]

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Do you want one to mount or one for your pocket?

I am a firm believer in the Garmin Rino series. I will not leave on a sled without one. If you get a high enough model you can load all the topo maps with trails and roads on for no cost. They have the radio in them so you group can stay in contact if they have them. Completely sealed so water does not ever get in, the charge on my 520 will last 2 full days mounted on my handlebars with a RAM mount. The 500 series is spendy, but it is well worth it. You can get into a bottom end one for alot cheaper that doesn't have near the capabilities.

The Rinos are designed for the outdoors, to be cold, to get wet....

Mapsource or Basecamp (depending on PC or MAC) is where to get maps for garmin products.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
my buddy has a garmin,,,he goes out to yellowstone alot,,ACG described it perfectly. we took his to haydays last year,,it mapped everywhere we went,,(after he plugged it into his computer it had a better pic than the little display on it....damn we made alot of trips to the truck(wonder what that was for) but he said his works great in high elevations,,cold. He got it at owatana, MN said it was like 500.00 at cabelas.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
L'lowrance are great for cold weather. I have an H2O one and it still works good in the winter, I just put it in my breast pocket, just to be safe.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys! i want one to mount so it looks like pretty on the sled LOL!!!! now its time to figure out how to get a 12v DC power supply to it!!! i dont have elect start, good old "choke n smoke" carbs!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
the garmin rhino is great product, but all garmin products only have a cold temperature rating of -15c (i did a tonne of research on this before i bought mine for sledding). the cool feature with the rhino is also doubles as a walkie talkie, which is handy. if you choose to mount it on your sled, the screen refresh rate is extremely slow and battery life is halved in colder then recommended temps.. myself i bought the garmin etrex vista hcx. and just keep it in my jacket pocket.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
MistaMota said:
myself i bought the garmin etrex vista hcx. and just keep it in my jacket pocket.
That's what I have too, and keep it in my jacket pocket. The lithium batteries seem to take the cold better than the regular batteries. I'm using the Minnesota trail maps from Red Pine Mapping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts