Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever ridden the trails around Grand Portage, MN, on the Grand Portage Indian Reservation? It looks like they have a lot of nice trails up there. I was just wondering if they are groomed and marked well.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I've been up there a few times and last winter me and a bunch of other people stayed at a friend's cabin on greenwood lake. The trails around Portage are very nice and they seemed to be well marked too. The only problem is the gap between the Portage area and where we started out riding, there are no marked trails in between these sections, but other than that awesome trails[:D]

·
Registered
197 Posts
We've headed down there a number of times to ride the trails on the Grand Portage Reserve. The trails were always well groomed but found them to be a bit tight/narrow in some spots.....really need to be extra careful in the corners keeping to the right and watching to ensure the guy coming in the opposite direction is doing the same.

If you are just riding the trails on the reserve you do not need any sort of trail permit. The trails are signed fairly well but there are lots of loops and intersections that might be a bit confusing the first time out. On their website there is a map of the trail system which is farily accurate.

All we need now is some snow - drove thru Grand Portage on the way home from the races in Duluth and there is zip for snow[:(!]

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Originally posted by powersledder
[br]The only problem is the gap between the Portage area and where we started out riding, there are no marked trails in between these sections
I thought of the same thing. The trail system doesn't really connect to the Gunflint area trails. The map on the website shows you can take forest roads, but I think you really have to know the area well to be able to do that. www.grandportage.com Maybe I will get over there this winter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts