Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 t-cat and this week-end i'd like to take the time to grease up that bearing that often goes out and shears the spedo pin,,causing speedo to not work.
WEll i heard it was pretty easy to get to that bearing ,,but what about if i have a reverse gear?? wont it get aLOT more complicated or is there only a couple gears that i have to worry about ?
I heard from a Ski-Doo guy that they recomend greasing that bearing every 500 miles , i find that a ltitle to much ,,but what do i know

·
Registered
608 Posts
The bearing near the speedo drive is on the oposite side as the chaincase. There is also no easy way of greasing it. You can buy a grease needle and stick it in around the seal but it will be quite a job. If you are concerned about it, just take a day off buy both bearings and have a go at it. The bearing they are probably referring to is the jackshaft bearing behind the secondary.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup that's exactly the bearing i'm talking about ,, right ont he jackshaft,, but i don't think i can get at it that easily with the reverse gears in the way ,, i'll have to take them all out won't I?

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
arent ther reverse gears in ur chain case? to grease mine there is a grease zerk where by where the speedo cable hook up, pretty much below the secondary

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you remove the bolt holding on the secondary the clutch should jump right off giving you plenty of room to grease the bearings on the jackshaft and driveshaft. Should take you 5 min. Make sure any shims or washers if used are put back on the way they came off. Keep your eyes open for the key (big) that engages the clutch to jackshaft. This really is an easy job and you should grease those bearings.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Feel around down there for the Zerk. you should be able to get it without taking the secondary off. And if your confused...the reverse is on the right side of the sled and that bearing is bathed in chaincase lube.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had a few Arctic Cats and there is a greese nipple on the cover that goes over the little speedo shaft. The greese should go right into the bearing,you dont even have to remove the secondary its very easy to get at. I greese mine about every second ride because I have replaced a few of them in past. Only takes about 1 min. Happy trails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts