Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow sleders...

My wife and I have been lucky enough to have put on about 120 miles this weekend riding the trails. (Mid-Ontario).

Since this is our first year I'm still a little new with maintainance.

We own a 97 LE and a 98 SLE Skidoo. I greased both machines a few months ago when I changed the plugs. I was wondering at what interval greasing should be done? As well how many miles do you put on plugs before you change them?

Any other info is welcome on seasonal maintainance.

Thanks in advance!

Rob.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
you can't overgrease...sure it may get messy but thats a small price to pay. After non "play" ride (50 miles or more) I like to do just a pump or two on all the grease fittings and spray the ball joints with oil. That way eeverything stays moving freely and doesn't wear out nearly as fast

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Rob; welcome to the sport!

The big thing I find about greasing the suspension is to force all the water out of the shafts that accumulates from riding. You'll see it coming out the ends of the shafts. I don't get that many miles on a season and probably grease mine twice a season, and then at the end of the season. This is probably the most important time that gets missed because your sled is going to sit all spring, summer and fall. If you don't grease at the end of the season (like I didn't last spring[:I]) you'll end up with a frozen suspension (like I did[:0]) and have to take it apart to free it up (like I did[V]). Learn from our mistakes![:D]

I usually only go through one set of plugs a season. I leave the old ones in for initial start up to burn off all the extra oil from fogging, then put in nice new ones and am set for the season. Just make sure you are always carrying a set of spares "just in case".

Jacqui.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hi Rob, I grease mine every 100 miles or so. I use white grease everywhere but one place,the drive shaft bearing found under your secondary clutch.(Where the speedo cable goes)where i use hp grease. I find that white grease brakes down to fast in that bearing and hp grease is to thick for the rest of the places.I also spray down the front and rear suspensions with a lube/ rust inhibitor(nuts-i-lube) from a buddy's shop (corrosion free). Oil the ball joints(tie rod ends) like sno-x-treme said, or a little white grease there to and work it in.
p.s. I hear you are gettin lots of snow down there, not much here but its cold, brrrrr. -26 c this morning. Making lots of ice, so the lakes will be staked soon.
p.s.s My fingers are out of breath now, I don't usually say this much. lol.
Dave.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks sleddaver - one question - what is HP grease?

I've been using cold temp grease for the most part...that ok?

Yes - we are getting alot of snow...I say "Bring it on!" [8D] It was -23 C this moring before I left for work...I'm just west of Barrie, Ontario (10 mins).

Cheers

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hp is high pressure grease. Send me some snow !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I'm using Amsoil High Performance racing grase all around...good stuff

Don't forget to grease that steering system (yep that grease fitting underneath the carbs that is a pain to get to) and spray all the joints in the steering too.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
I grease mine usually around 300 or 400 miles, or if I just happen to be near the shop and think of it. I use this red stuff, it's called "performance" grease. It's not as "light" as white winter grease, and it's not as "heavy" as the blue farm type grease. It's kinda in the middle. Seems to work well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi Rob1
Welcome to this awesome site and this wonderful obsession some call snowmobiling.
Where in mid-Ontario do you live?
Just curious where folks are riding.
Stay safe.
Jeff

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Trialblaze:

We are located in the Township of ESSA....about 10 mins. from Barrie, Ontario (SnowBelt area).

This is our first year riding and the folks around here say this is the first year where all the trails have been open...as well it's the best riding in the last 2 years.

I live on a country property and it just happens that one of the side trials runs accross my street! No trailing the sleds! [:D]

This wasn't planned when we bought the house back in June of 2002 but was a very nice surprize the first time I looked at the local trail maps!

Take Care
Rob.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts