Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Polaris Indy 1995 Classic (500 liquid cooled) has a mechanical reverse lever on the handle bars. It has quite a bit of slop in it when engaging it in reverse by flipping the lever up. About 30% of the time, it does not engage in reverse, but rather makes a horrible grinding noise that makes the hair on the back of my head stand up and my wallet pulsate. Do you think it is not engaging because the cable needs to be tightened to lessen the play in the reverse lever? I changed the gear oil 2 weeks ago as part of my yearly service, added Amsoil....just checked the gear oil today, there is a bunch of metal filings stuck to the magnetic dip stick, otherwise the fluid is clean and full. Amsoil stinks too. Thoughts?

·
Registered
129 Posts
yu better take yure chaincase cover off and take a look inside....yu have to have the right chain tension in order for the reverse gear to engage properly...also sounds like yure cable is way out of adjust ment...get that cover off and ck things out.....if it made a grinding noise chances are yure chain is damaged...maybe more ..get it apart and let us know what yu find....yull find that if yu remove the hose from the opppsite side heat x changer and let the slack go to the other side yull get enuff clearance to remove the cover...do the same with the other hose..

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
My dad's 1998 Indy Classic 500 does that to, when you change gears turn the sled off, then start it up, and go.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Been there done that. OK, Obviously magnaman has the best suggestion which is to look in here. I have never had to remove hoses though??? But any time I had this troble it could be taken care of with adjustments. The chain must be on the tighter side of the recomended setting. Loosen the lock nut and turn in the adjuster finger tight. Make sure the adjuster does not turn as you retighten the lock nut. then adjust the cable so there is about 1/8" of free play. The sled must be Idled down before attemping to engage rev. Ocassionally it just wont go in and you must move ahead a little and try again.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Since you said you heard grinding, like everyone else said, I'd pull the chain case cover and have a look inside to be sure there isn't any damage. Then adjust the chain tension as hotrod described. This can also be done with the cover on.

Spin your secondary clutch towards the front of the machine. This puts all the slack in the chain on the chain tension adjuster's side. Then tighten the adjuster with your fingers until it's tight. Now back it off 1/4 turn. Now tighten the lock nut while making sure the adjuster bolt doesn't turn.

Your reverse cable is definately too loose. Its not engaging the reverse completely. This is the grinding you hear. Adjust the cable down where it attaches to the chain case. Like maydaze said, you don't want any more than 1/8 in freeplay in the cable up at your reverse lever.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Before you do all this stuff, taking things apart do this, flip up the reverse leaver, turn the sled off if you hear a clunk adjust the reverse cable, and I would check the chain tension no matter what.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts