Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I tried to avoid it like the plague but it turns out that my crew have recently voted me the leader when riding together. Since this group (at least 6 sleds) includes my wife and soon my 13 year old son, I'm interested in accessories that can help them keep their eye on me, and help me keep my eye on them. I am NOT interested in communicators.

At night with passing sleds, I sometimes find that we get separated a bit.

Any way to trick out my tail light with a slow strobe (so they know its me) or have some type of temporary luminescent sticker they can put on the front of their sleds so I know its part of my group?

This is not a HUGE problem, but figured I'd pick the collective noodle here a bit. Maybe someone has wisdom.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Great ideas.
Here's my thoughts:
Go to a bicycle shop and buy a red strobe like cyclist wear...you can see them for 1/2 mile or so.
It can velcro to the leaders helmet, jacket, or sled.

A reflector for the front of the rest of the groups sleds will not work unless a headlight hits it....so that won't help you as the leader.

An amber strobe would work fine if it strobes bright enough to see past the brightness of the headlight.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great ideas. I have been leading our grouip for the past five years. We mainly keep an eye on the one sled behind each of us. If one happens to start slacking off then we notice it faster and slow down of stop. I usually stopl quite often to make sure everyone is still there and OK..Hope this helps a little..[8D]

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Whenever I am following Pman I can tell it is him cause he has a reflector on the back of his helmet. It isn't that big but you can tell it is him because of it. Often in the snow dust I can only see the taillight and the reflectors on his jacket and helmet.

·
Registered
328 Posts
what about one of those safety vests flaggers use? those are really easy to see and they will fit almost anyone? I also think that 500fasEnuf idea would work really well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the strobe taillight idea. I've done some searches and haven't found anything yet. Any leads would be great.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep the ideas coming.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Here's a link, 1 of them says it will go for 200 hours in flash mode, and 50 on all the time.

I would just felcro it up high to keep snow off it.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/subcategory.html?Cat_ID=14&Sub_ID=4322

·
Registered
314 Posts
how about getting a set of mirrors on your sled/???

maybe they look dumb on some sleds but you (as the leader) will always be able to glance and see how close they are to you...
Its easier to glance at the mirror than it is to turn your head backwards and keep going in a straight line [:0]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was my first thought however, I could damage them or my hood when I lay my sled on its side in the powder. Furthermore, the SKS has very tall handlebars and in my seating position, this puts my arm directly in the way of the mirrors (if there were there).

I am thinking about a quick-release mirror on my handlebar but that is the easy part.

·
Registered
412 Posts
They have mirrors that strap to the back of your mitt; just raise your hand to see behind you. Very effective and cheap.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep. Seen those as well
thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You may want to consider a two-way radio set-up. They are not expensive and it sure beats looking behind you all the time. For me, it was a safety issue. If my wife or I happen to get stuck, or break down, or just want to let the other know what is ahead on the trail, we just tell the other by way of the radio. Last December, we bought two Motorola talk-about radios with the VOX (voice activated)feature and two small headsets for about $100.00. They work great!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
When I went through the windshield on my dad's sled a few years ago I thought I wrecked his one mirror for sure but they have springs so they bend around if you hit anything.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey sledhead, how do those communicators work? do they work well on vox, with all the surrounding noise and breathing etc...?
or do you have to use push to talk often?

·
Registered
47 Posts
We usually ride in a group of 6 to 8 and I get the lead job. My buddy who takes up the rear has got a blue headlight. If I see Tom,s headlight I know that we are all still togrther,

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
You can buy a small mirror that straps on your hand,there cheezy but they work.i dont blame you for not wanting a communacater,there is nothing worse than someone yacking away while rideing.I say shoot the s#@t when you stop.

·
Registered
290 Posts
in response to your question KING:
The vox works good on my set of Collett's (there is a VOX dial, low->high sensitivity, on the module itself) BUT the tip of the mic has to rest virtually *against* your lips to work...which for me is a little annoying/distracting. On my Collett's (I'm not sure about *all* of them) there are push-button talk setup, just VOX.

Plus, since I use the communicators aux line to listen to music when I ride, I can't help but sing or swear at other crazy/irresponsible riders passing me...so usually i just let my brake hand off the bar to hold the mic to my lips if i need to say something, then pull it back when I'm done so I don't send messages I don't want to and so the mic against my lips doesn't drive me crazy! If you got any other questions..lemme know.

Scott

·
Registered
975 Posts
I usually ride in the back and I use my red light shield. Guy up front loves it because it distinguishes me from everyone else[:D] 2 weeks ago during a poker run a blizzard came up hard and fast and we couldn't see 8 feet in front of us, the guy in front said that he could see my headlight the best and knew that everyone was still there because the red cut through the snow better than a plain or bright white light.[8D] As for you the lead guy....go to Walmart and buy the bicycle red strobe and velcro it to the back of your helmet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts