Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purhased a used GTX 550 fan and am concerned about the mileage. Are there any suggestions to improve fuel economy or are these engines typically hard on gas? I was running on a groomed trail and hard snow for most of the trip and wasn't to the bar. I went 90 kilometers and needed to look for a gas station to fuel up as my gauge was showing empty. I put in 30 liters and estimated that I had 10 litres left in the tank ... good thing. My fill up quickly converted to 3 kilometers to 1 litre ... seems low when compared to an older 380 Touring E that I had which seemed to go forever on a tank of gas.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
All you can do is check your jetting and adjust as needed, keep your loads light, and don't flush the toilet alot (carbs wide open)
Ensure your mechanicaly in good shape, and no bumbed bearings in the driveline eg. suspension wheels, jackshaft
Do you ride with another sled the same as yours, if so what is it like?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TeamNFG said:
All you can do is check your jetting and adjust as needed, keep your loads light, and don't flush the toilet alot (carbs wide open)
Ensure your mechanicaly in good shape, and no bumbed bearings in the driveline eg. suspension wheels, jackshaft
Do you ride with another sled the same as yours, if so what is it like?
Thanks for the tips ... No I don't ride with another sled the same. I am wondering if anyone has checked the mileage on a GTX with the 500SS liquid cooled engine and if it would be more economical on fuel consumption.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I think sometimes it will come to a HP vs. Wieght and a 500 liquid would have around 30 more horse (guessing) then the 550 fan. It depends on your use of the machine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts