Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im totaly redoing my sled its a 92 indy w/ "98" 700 /slp pipe&can/ 136x2"/with articcat 2ndary (cvt). the helix is shot and it a 53* has any one changed to a "dual or quad" angle helix, if so what was the result, what type of rideing was the multi angle helix desighned for? would this be an up grade or a mistake for me to intergrate into my set up?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the more angle helixs can make a positive difference, if you take a stock 54-36 dual angle it is 54 for the top half inch then 36 the rest of the way, on most stock sleds within a split second of throttle you are running straight 36, but with a three angle or four angle the theory is that they will pull harder because the angle stays higher longer, with the higher helix angle you need more spring pressure to get a good back shift and good belt sqweeze, when the companies make clutch kits using lots of helix angle the sleds have a good quickness, but it hurts mph gain and belt life, you might beat or start out ahead of the same sled with a different helix but on the long pull the other sled will be going faster, for 90 percent of the trail riders you could make you sled quicker running a quad angle, check out epi for a good helix, i like the quality they put in all there stuff,

·
Registered
777 Posts
the 57-50 cat is very close to a 50-36 polaris helix witch works very well

·
Registered
948 Posts
Got any preliminary pics of your project SD? Is that a 700 twin or triple going in? (I think there was an option for 700 triple on the XCR in 98 wasn't there?)

·
Registered
14 Posts
You need to match the angle to the style of riding you do. You don't say were you ride Trail, powder, lake, etc.
There are ups and downs to bothe types of helix. As for the triple angle. Not nessacary. You don't see them around much anymore. You can pretty much do what ever you need with single or dual.
The angle will mainly be determined by were you run (RPM) and how you want the sled to pull (Style). Just remember no matter what , the higher number in degree's the more it will pull (because it will shift out faster)and it will lower your operating Rpm. The lower angle is for the higher speed when you need to shift out less in order to maintain a better RPM to stay in the powerband better when you star reaching hiher speeds because you are fighting more resistants. Such as drag wind and rotating mass. So a 57/50 would give you a stronger pull in the first say 600 feet and the allow you to maintain a little more RPM the rest of the time. If you start to over rev on your topend then you can step up a few dregree's. And if your RPM falls too low in the first blast then you need to go to a less degree.
If you are interested in setting up your own clutches, there is a good manual out by Aaen performance call Clutch Tuning. It runs about $16.00 to $18.00 but is very valueable if you plan on doing a lot of clutch tuning on your own. It's a lot cheaper then ending up buying a whole bunch of different helix till you get it right.
Good luck.

·
Registered
749 Posts
All a multiangle helix does, is load the motor quick so it don't spin plus once the sled has traction it will let it rev. It is by far one of thge best things you can do to a sled.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
going from a dual angle to a quad angle you should notice some gains if all else stays the same, for hard tight trail riding i would go more angle and secondary spring, and not worry so much about wieghts, that set up will make you quick but lose mph, if you go the opposite, more wieght and less helix you will lose a little quickness but might jump in mph, then you have every combonation inbetween.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well... im a rider that is not into trail, the trail is used to get us to the "playgroung" im a very aggressive rider my time is mostly spent in short runs, minner cornis drops, 90% of what i do is jumping, im wanting to get fast ,quick responce, the jumping i look for is up hill or cresting over a ridge, as for the sled it is a 92indy with a "98" 700 twin v-3 reeds slp-pipe&can "d" slide carbs, right now the clutck is a 10-62 with new blue spring, the (cvt) is a "01" cat button style with a 53* singel angel, yellow spring, its spinning 8200, i have to replace the helix so i wanted to see if there would be a diffrent helix that might fit my "style" better,iv learned a lot about "reading" the wash on the pistons and re-jetting accordingly, the elevation changes we go through in a day is from 2200 at the truck to 4700 ta the first "playground" up to 7800 + on the BIG play area, well thats how i gide,,,,

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
?? Did you like how it worked with the 53?
If not you might want to try a 57-50 or maybe even steeper start angle.

Did cat still make a button secondary in 2001, my 2000 has a roller secondary. My T-Cat came stock with a 57-50, I changed to a 60-50 to load things up early. I am running a Cat green spring in the rear. Its quite a bit stiffer than the yellow. But my sled makes its power at 8600 so not sure this helps. More spring rate will help backshift.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok...... the 53* straight is fine, i need to replace it, thats why im on the hunt to see if there is an improvement or up grade that i can get sence i gotta replace it , thats what brought on all the ? ? ? , abuot diffrent angels and multi-angle helix, sence im an A G R E E S S I V E, MOUNTAN RIDER its a lot diffrent then out East, does any ony ride out W E S T in the mountans, my goal is to get the most track spin i can get in the semi-short distances with the most tork ,(if that makes any sence?)..., how much is to much (to steep), id like to find out with out buying 3 or 4 diff. helixes at 44.95 a wack,

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Dave,

I think most of the guys here ride flatland. I hate even recommending another forum, but www.snowest.com is all about mountain riders. you may find more mountain info there. But when it comes to overall sled help this is the place to be. Snowest has a lot a smack talk on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts