Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my dad and i are going to West Virginia to do some four wheeling this week. We bought a camo 07 Honda Foreman 500 a couple weeks ago, and last week dad got a set of ITP SS wheels and mud lites. We put them on the new one, and put the stock ones from it on our 06. We put about 10 minutes on them, and re-tightned the lug nuts to be safe. We used an impact on the 06 since its stock steel wheels, but used a ratchet on the new ones to try to not damage them.

So tonight my buddy came over cause both quads need an oil change and washed. He wanted to ride so we went out for 20 minutes, did some racing and then we switched qauds. I was on the new one, and he was on the old one. So we did one more race on our way in, and we hit about 50. He came in, went out and turned around on the road and was coasting back to the garage and left rear wheel just fell off. Luckily he was doing about 3 and was right in front of the garage. About 40 seconds earlier we were doing 50 across a field. I checked all the other lug nuts and there were 2 loose on the other rear wheel, but the fronts were still tight.

I just want everybody to do a pre-check before riding. This could have turned out very bad. It could have fallen off when we were ripping across a field, or out in middle of the woods somewhere. There was no warning at all about it. The way the rims are you can't hardly see the lug nuts to notice if one is missing unless you really look. I had been riding it and i felt no vibration or anything, it was fine. You can look at the rims and see how they are actually damaged where the lug nut clamps the rim, and the nuts have burrs on them and are scratched up. I'm just thankful that nobody got hurt. The only thing damaged is the rim, which can be replaced.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. Now that i think about it i kinda saved him. It was getting dark so he wanted to keep riding, but i said we needed to head in. He was mad, but followed me. If we would have kept ridding who knows what would've happened.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Good thing everyone is okay!

Something like this nearly happened to me with my truck. I was walking out to my truck to go somewhere, and I was looking at the front passenger tire and noticed I was missing a lug nut. I check the other five and they were all loose! A couple days before my brother and I put on a new CV shaft and he tightened down the lug nuts with an impact. Also, my dad took his Buick in to get something done on it. Long story short, he didn't get far out of the shop when the wheel (and axle, too I think) fell off the car.[:0]

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I usually just make things really tight, my Argo had a tire come loose. Luckily I can loose like 2 wheels and still be good to go. That's scary shit man, hope it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
You were using aluminum rims. Procedure is to retighten them after a few miles...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My dad did after the first ride, but it was probably only a mile. I should've rechecked them after our first actual ride which i rode for 45 minutes, but it never crossed my mind. Luckily the fronts are still tight. I'd much rather loose a rear wheel than a front wheel.

But we are going to put the wheel back on, and check it occasionaly. I'm excited for this trip. It will be the first time we have ever gone riding on atv's. It'll be interesting to see how our terrain compares with West Virginia.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
i was driving behind an old ford and his whole hub off the back axel came flying off and went flying accross the road. not just the tire the whole hub and all snapped off. it was the weirdest thing i ever seen and we all think the guy had a mild heart attack. i know i would have

·
Registered
870 Posts
flatlander_summit said:
You were using aluminum rims. Procedure is to retighten them after a few miles...
Use a Torque Wrench too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts