Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think people should keep both hands on the bars when meeting other sleds. I have observed people struggling to handle their machine so as to indicate to others how many are in their group.
This practice sucks Several years ago I heard of a ridder falling off his machine and being hit by a oncoming machine, he was killed in the collision. People riding in the group thought that just maybe one handed driving was the reason he fall off his machine.

Every one should ride on the right side of the trail at all times when traveling on blind corners, short sighted hills etc. Seeing a closed fist dose not guarantee that the trail is clear with no one approaching from the opposite direction.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
seems like a reasonable argument im shure there will be many that agree and disagree.myself i find them kinda usefull

·
Registered
414 Posts
If people are falling off when doing hand signals they are A:going to fast to begin with or B:are not capable of riding in general. I find hand signals very useful when there is a blind corner and you dont know how many people are coming. You should come to a stop if there are sleds coming and your not capable of slowing down to a safe speed and using hand signals. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Up at Cooke City, Montana...I only used it when I know I had control of the sled. I know I didn't use the hand signal when the Trails were narrow and when there was a curve. But other then that there nice to do.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Originally posted by 98ultra
[br]If people are falling off when doing hand signals they are A:going to fast to begin with or B:are not capable of riding in general. I find hand signals very useful when there is a blind corner and you dont know how many people are coming. You should come to a stop if there are sleds coming and your not capable of slowing down to a safe speed and using hand signals. Just my opinion.
I agree with 98ultra, if you can not control your snowmobile you are probably driving faster than you are capable. With the signals you can tell if there is someone in the oncoming group that is falling behind so you don't hit them on one of the next corners.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
in our group.. and mainly everyone up here in michigan.. if theres about 5 or more the first person uses the signal.. and the last person. But then again i see a lot of everyone using them. I think if you cant handle the sled you dont need to be riding it. one handed or not.

·
Registered
615 Posts
i think the first and last person of the group would be good enough, i mean if you can count you should be able to tell how many sleds you pasted going by what the first person tells you.

if im in a curve i dont tell how many are in my group till i get on the straight away and am able to.
if it means the difference between someone goin off the trail and hitting someone or something i agree dont do it. but if you cant keep control of your sled goin straight theres something wrong.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hand signals saved my butt many times riding in West Yellowstone. I'd be riding along and out of nowhere a large group comes whizzin' by. I knew to slow down because most of the time riding in a pack you get that group "mentality" where you think you're the only group on the trail. I always slowed down ready to jump off trail if those oncoming yahoos were taking their 1/2 of the trail outta my half. Had one really close call where I actually had to practically jump off-trail to avoid one of the idiots in one of these trains. It's such a simple gesture and so informative. If you can't control your sled on a trail with one hand you're pushing the envelop and I'd rather you stay off the trails I ride, thank you. [:)]

I'm a defensive driver and I like it that way![^] Arrive alive baby!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
another use of the quote "loud pipes save lives".

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Not to sound like a hardass or anything but I could care less about the safety of the people going the other way. I use the signals for the safety of those in my group. I want the other people to know that my buddy, girlfriend etc is coming along behind me for our safety, not so much for there's.

I do find it funny that when I ride in a group of say 4 riders we all give a sign. I think it would suffice if the leader and trailer gave the signs. I guess there is nothing wrong w/ some extra safety though.

As far as not being able to control your sled w/ only one hand on the bar, if that is the issue than I don't think the hand signal is the problem. The fact that the person is riding beyond their abilities is the problem.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
thats pretty stupid

·
Registered
120 Posts
You have to be kidding me.
Hand signals save more people than kill I will garuntee.
If you can't control your machine while giving a hand signal here is a solution.
1. Get a snowmobile you can handle
2. Slow down enough so that you can handle your machine with one hand.
Hand signals saved us a few times this weekend as well.
Had a group of 6 I was with while I was leading, a group came by and signaled they had 5, counted 4, waiting for the 5th, didn't see anyone for awhile and went up over a hill on my side, and there was their 5th broken down in a turn on the trail. Had I not known there was another coming I would have taken the corner at a normal speed rather than a slow one anticipating an oncoming sled.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Whenever I come up to other riders the first thing I do is slow down. The second thing I do is give them a hand signal. If you can't control your sled with one hand you are going too fast. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't drive your sled fast, but when pass oncoming traffic you should slow down.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would say always stay to the right.
If I'm on the trail very rarely to my cousin and I travel any faster than 25mph.
But I agree if the last person signals and someone else is behind you and you didn't know could cause an accident.
If we want to open it up we tend to do so only of trail so if anyone gets hurt it just me.
Thing about load pipes is I can't hear over mine how would I hear someone else?

·
Registered
963 Posts
i personally think that signals are great and your sled shouldn't be hard to control with one hand for two seconds. i think that everyone in the group should use them because if you are in a big group and you can't see the first person in your group throw up their hand then you don't know that other people are coming. but if the guy in your group is going around the corner and he can see the other people coming it tells you to slow down.
personally i always think that it is funny when you go by someone and hold up a # and they just wave. happened yesterday.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I think signals are the right thing to do. Especially coming around blind spots.

The last day up in Cooke City I almost hit somebody because I didnt know they were coming around the corner. So, the next corner this guy came around and holded his fingers up and I knew other people were coming. So, I stopped on the other side of the corner and xtralettucetomatoe580 came around the corner and if I would of never stopped we would of hit each other. Do you remember that xtralettucetomatoe580?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I never make a signal if I'm not confident I can control the sled with one arm. I do like knowing which sled is the end of the group. Here's the answer to this dilemna:

http://www.impactindustries.net/home.html

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Originally posted by artiksno340
[br]I never make a signal if I'm not confident I can control the sled with one arm. I do like knowing which sled is the end of the group. Here's the answer to this dilemna:

http://www.impactindustries.net/home.html
well there you go. I was just wondering if something like that was out there. Thanks artiksno

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ok here is the 24 million dollar stupid question of the month.
To what 'hand signals' are you refering too? I'm a new rider and I've never riden in a group or been on a trail for that matter. I only go ice fishing but I'm thinking of starting to trail ride as well. Are these hand signals the same as on a bicycle? Any sites I can go too that show me what the main signals are? Thanks in advance and forgive my ignorance.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.