Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 95 Arctic Cat Prowler and I don't think the hand warmers are working properly. They are the kind that have the coil inside the handlbars. I ran the snowmobile for about 10 minutes and the thumb warmer was toasty but the grips seemed to be quit a bit cooler. I checked for current going to the handwarmers and it read about 2 volts DC on the meter. The switch seemed to work properly also. The switch is either in the Thumb / Off / Hand & Thumbwarmer position. It would shut the 2 volts off when the switch was activated to the off position or the thumb position. Everything is stock on this sled and it only has 1200 miles. I would find it hard to believe that both grips burned out. I could be wrong though. Is there anything else I can do to try and troubleshoot this problem??????????

·
Registered
837 Posts
does it have the stock grips? when i bought my use sled they had different grips and one of the handd warms wasn't working so i pulled the grip off with the help of compessed air and i found when they changed grips the guy used a razor blade to cut off the out grips and he cut into the heating coil and it burnt it out rith at the cut

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They look like the stock grips. The heating element is inside of the hanlebar so I don't think that would be damaged in that manner.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
well first thing i would check is for a bad ground or good connection to your power source. Also check for frayed wires and any connections with corrosion. Also, are you sure your are checking on the power side of the switch. If you are checking on the ground side, your readings will be reduced. You can also check one of the accessory leads near the gauges to make sure your DVOM meter is working correctly. You should have 12 volts up at the lighting if your lights are on and are as bright as normal. I would guess something has maybe come unplugged. Check under the handlebar pad to make sure everything looks ok under there and then follow the wires all the way to the stator.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
529 Posts
another thing to check would be the resistance of the coils. you should be able to get that value from your local dealer off of a schematic.

'00' 500 XC SP

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Im gonna say that you should have 12 volts everywhere on your sled....lighting, handwarmers, etc only thing that should/can differ is the amount of amperage that goes to each individual item.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will look into how much voltage and follow the wires through the entire handwarmer system. Thanks for your help guys!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts