Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Out

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the snowmobiling world, do you think handguards are currently in style or out of style?

Personally I think they are going out of style. I have some on my sled but I have been thinking about taking them off. They often seem to detract from the otherwise clean look of a nice bar setup. They don't really seem to do a whole lot for keeping my hands warm. The only functional thing they have done for me is keep a few branches from hitting my hands.

However, I have posted this poll as more of a question about visuals than function.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Well I know I have them for a reason being it does reflect the cold going right into my hands...trust me when it -10 stand still wont take long going down a road or field before you finger tips get cold even with the handwarmer on. They saved my hands last year from some tree branches. Looks silly sometimes but serves a purpose. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I think they look good.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I could give a flying fart about style, I got them for function, and am happy with both how they look and perform.

I voted "out" because I think it was almost a fad and it seems to be fading. Not as popular as a couple years ago I feel.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
TRICKPaint said:
I could give a flying fart about style
Took the words right out of my mouth. I'd hate to see someone get hand guards just because everyone else thought they were cool lol. I have them on my current sled but not on my new one. I'm still trying to decide which I'm going to put on my new sled if any. I know when I do ride trails they really did assist keeping the hands warmer, and the scratches on my guards prove they've saved my knuckles more than a couple times. That is why I'll probably equip my new sled with hand guaurds, now I've just gotta decide a brand.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
I think I almost have to agree that they are going out of style. I have not seen them recommended by people nearly as much as I used to, and thus not installed as much. I have a set on my ZR, and did find they keep the direct airflow off of my hands (somewhat anyway), thus keeping them somewhat warmer. The deflection of debris was also nice, be it trees or rocks/ice while following somebody.

On the flipside, I did not install any on my SnoPro because they do not look as good, and weren't beneficial enough to give up the look I wanted, plus my gloves are warm enough that the airflow does little.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Without hand guards and monster stickers, it ain't a mod sled... [thumb]

·
Registered
271 Posts
I really like handguards espically out west where there is alot of snow and alot of boondocking my old 800 with the pro x windshield directed all the fresh powder right into my hands by the end of the day my hands were soaked but after the hand guards my hands were dry all day they did take a little getting used to because they made me feel clumsy ha sorry for the run on sentence I am on my phone but I didn't vote because style doesn't matter

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don't really care, just know that my hands really like them! Keeps the wind off on the trail in and out, won't have a sled without them. Now to find a mount that fits the m's bars, doesn't bend with time or break off when you roll the sled out of a stuck.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I like handguards, they serve a real purpose. Add to them a tall windsield and I can keep trucking along at -35F while guys with modern sleds, with no frontal surface area or windshield, stay inside and polish their toys. I can't count how many times I have avoided a good hit on the hand from a tree limb hanging in the trail.

The thing I can't stand is people who stand around and talk about how cute their sled looks with all that extra stuff on it. Wasted time in my opinion.

I didn't vote either.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Xx08BRAAAPPP22xX said:
motodeficient said:
I agree. Which function do they fill for you, warmth or branch protection, or both?
Both.
Yes, both... but another good reason for me is saves your knuckles from getting peppered with small rocks and ice that your buddy with the 2" lugs roosts you with at the tip of those hills on the trails when your having fun and pushing each other a little bit.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
for me it depends on the day.. Some days i would decide i didn't want them.. some days I did.. some days i wanted a different color.. Haha i switch it up a lot.

Ultimately I think they are fading in popularity

·
Registered
622 Posts
TRICKPaint said:
I could give a flying fart about style, I got them for function, and am happy with both how they look and perform.

I voted "out" because I think it was almost a fad and it seems to be fading. Not as popular as a couple years ago I feel.
I agree with Trick, I use them only for function not based on how they look. So for style I voted out, but if you where asking for function I would vote yes all day long.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have never had them on a sled, but on a few different dirt bikes. Im thinking of getting some though, for all above reasons

·
Registered
863 Posts
i used to have hand guards on the 440, they came with the sled when i bought it and didn't really notice a big difference after buying my 600 which doesn't have them.
but i also think they look good on some sleds.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I personally like the way they look on my sled, also I find they help a lot with keeping the wind down. They also keep debris and branches from nailing your hands at 60+ mph. Snow chunks also hurt a lot too, mine has enough scratches on them to prove it. I'm now thinking about swapping them over to the bike for the summer. And honestly it only matters to me how it looks.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
TRICKPaint said:
Couldn't say it better myself.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I had them on my rev last year and they looked decent on that bar set up, but when I put this new set up on I haven't put the guards on, once winter rolls around, I guess I will be seeing if I'll be needing them back on or not.

I voted "out". I think a lot of people got them for the looks at the time, but now you see freestyle riders and such with the big bend bars without handguards, so now their out for looks, and in for function.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts