Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a good friend of mine interested in snowmobiling. He got hooked and bought a brand new 2008 Polaris RMK 600 (had 4 miles on it) last December about week before Christmas. Christmas day he went out bird hunting and had a bad reload blow up his gun. He ended up losing his left hand at the wrist. He's bound and determined to go snowmobiling this next year. We mountain ride but nothing to tuff that he couldn't handle. He took his sled for a spin last Sunday on the frozen lake which got him even more determined to get out. Does anyone have any experience with this or can suggest any ideas on how to either move the brake lever or install a different lever on the right or maybe a foot pedal. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
It is awesome he wants to do it!

I have tried driving my sled with just my right hand.. pretty difficult. Does he have a claw or something on his left hand so he can grab the bar?

I would think options would be
1. New yamaha that has power steering and modify the handlebars
2. Keep what he has and put a twist throttle on it. My motorcycle has a twist throttle and brake all on the right hand. Pretty easy to control.
3. Keep what he has and design a foot brake

Option 1 is most expensive. Option 2 is pretty cheap and could easily be done. Option 3 would take some fabrication.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i would think a foot brake would be the way to go just relocate the cable down along the tunle however the power steering is a must ether get one of a scraped quad as there are more and more of them coming out all the time or as the previos guy said the new yamaha sled has it already but you need this most of all to help controle the speed woble and darting even more than for steering but at any rate way to go trying to think out of the box to get another into the sport good for you (just a after thought what about somthing like a vintage sled like a Rader modded with steer weel)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
does he have a claw? if so i know a guy that rides a motorcycle with a claw on his left hand and just uses the right hand for controls. its great that he wants to get back at it and i give him props.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I'm thinking I would want to design some kind of loose fit socket to mount to left bar and move the brake lever to right side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses.

He doesn't have a claw or anything yet. He is still doing some physical therapy and looking around at his options. I'm just trying to get some ideas so he'll know what kind of all around attachment to get. He's also looking for one so he can run his chainsaw, split wood and shoot rifles with. Losing his hand hasn't changed him any it's just slowed him down a little.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
My x girlfriends dad had a claw and it had many diffrent attachments so he could do all of those things he still deer hunts and he fishes and he aslo four wheels.

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
I want to add this stuff in addition to my previous post
http://www.mtb-amputee.com/snowmobileamputee.htm

There are more in that link for you to look at.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
The guy that used to run the local sled graveyard, lost his entire right arm in a tractor accident on his farm. He moved his throttle over to the other side, and could still out-ride most people with only one arm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts