Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted in a while. Been busy enjoyin' the snow in Northeast PA. I am lucky to have it!!! Anyway, I was wondering if I could benefit from a set of handlebar hooks when it comes to turning at slower speeds and around tight corners. Right now we have rock solid packed snow due to the last week of below zero temps. I am finding it harder to turn on our somewhat narrow trails and around my self proclaimed "snow-cross" track in my yard. I have a 96 Indy Xlt SP with extra 12 susp. I already back down the front shock spring preload to just about nothing. Haven't touched the rear yet though.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I tell you what XLT SP Yeah, I just put a set of the 45 deg hooks on my 97 XLT SP for this year and they are THE BEST inexpensive addition I have put on this sled. The standard XLT bars are way to narrow and bent back. The hooks widen your bars which gives you much more leverage and turning ability. I angle my hooks forward slightly........what a difference.

Pick some up and put em' on.....I promis you, you won't be disapponted!

·
Registered
777 Posts
only draw back is ,if you have a custom sled cover when you trailer,you won,t anymore,unless you modify the cover

·
Registered
699 Posts
is that a corvette in the back, any ways i have hand warmers on my sled and i was wondering what alterations do i have to do for the hooks and also still have warmers?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before I reply I have to laugh real hard at confusedguy's signature! I've seen that picture before but never with that title. Real funny!

Anyway, I see confusedguy has two different size hooks. What't the benefit of that?

I do agree, the XLT handlebars are way to narrow. My hand is past the end of the standard grip and if it keeps going on like this, I will end up wearing out the end of the standard grip. It's already looking like it will weaken and fall off.

So what brands do you recommend? I saw a 45 degree by Snowstuff for $13.00 each. I also saw JB-Hookers for $19.95 (black only) at High Performance.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point. What about hand warmers? I've gottem' too.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
if your guna put just hooks on you cut the end of your orignal grips off make a straigt as possible line so they look decent.. or if you want to put hooks then the sportech grips over you have to cut a line down your orignal grips but make sure you dont cut through your heat elements on your handlebars its really easy to cut them, but just be careful and its easy. then when your your hooks are installed take the new grips and hook up an air compressor nozzle and stick it in the bottom of the grips in the little hole and use the air pressure to slide the grips onto your handlebars.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
i used a dremel to make my handlebar hooks the same size as my handlebars, most hooks are bigger in diameter than your bars to compensate for your orignal grips.... if that all makes sense..

its my sisters celica btw.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well whaddaya think about the snow stuff hooks I mentioned?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Those are fine, I think most hooks are pretty much the same anyways, they're all pretty uniform, especially when used for general riding and not pro racing.

The reason some guys have the 90 deg hook on the left and only a 45 on the right is because of the throttle. Think about it, you can lean out a lot more on your left, so the 90 deg hook gives you more to hold on to. You typically can't lean as far to your right because you still need to squeeze the throttle.

I just put 45 deg one's on each side, and they work great for me.

As for the handle bar heaters, all you need to do is cut a hole in the end of the grips where the new hooks will slide in. There isn't any heating elements here on the XLT grips (I used a scaple exacto knife to cut away the ends). Once you have the new hooks on, you'll want to get rid of the ridge on the end of the heater grips. For this I used a barel sander on a dremel tool, and sanded that ridge down so there was a smooth transition from the heater grips to the new hooks. You might also need to sand some of the end of the heater grips, so the hooks will fit flush against them. I ended up with a nice clean finish on mine.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah general riding and some agressive stuff but nothing major. High Performance's catalog lists the "hot setup" to be a 45 and 90 but I was thinking of two 45's. Good idea about cutting a hole in the center of the end. I like the sounds of the clean fit. Sounds like I'll be getting those hooks pretty soon.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
i made that signature myself[:D]

hand warmers are nothing to worry about if you plan on keeping your old hand grips. the heating elment doesnt go all the way to the end of the bar. but i recommend sportech ultra grips when you get your hooks put on they make a nice clean look instead of having 2 different looking pieces.. i know its a petty thing put little details are what makes the big difference. and like everyone was saying it doesnt really matter what hook you get they are pretty much the same. i put a 90 and a 45 for no reason really.. when i decided to get them the first setup i saw on a sled was a 90 on the left and a 45 on the right so thats what i bought.. if you do decide to use the sportech ultra grips 2 45's are a lot easier to put them on. they slide on better. 90's are soo hard to put grips onto i will NEVER do it again it took 2 of us and we were so wiped out when we were done.. i swear its the hardesd thing ive put on my sled yet (sportech ultragrip on a 90 hook). but it looks sweet i think and feels real nice.

lol infact when i sold my sled to my uncle i took those handlebars off and put them on my new sled becuase i didnt want to do it all over again. they were orignally on my 500.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I saw the sportec ultra grips in High Performance or Dennis Kirk. Can't remember which. I agree, a finished look is definitely nice. If I go with the snowstuff grips I don't think the ultra grips would be as easy to put since they flare out at the end. I guess I'll figure it out. maybe buy another brand. Thanks for all the input. I can't wait to buy em and put em on. I was out ridding tonight and wished I had them!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts