Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Polaris Indy Ultra SP 680 Triple. . .
Sled starts fine when cold (2 to 3 pulls), after running awhile, then shutting down (for maybe half and hour 45 minutes) sled starts hard. No choke, choke, still starts hard. Found that it fires right up if I hold the throttle wide open while pulling and releasing the trottle as soon as she fires. I'm sure that this not the way to do it so I believe that something must be out of adjustment. Perhaps someone out there can offer some ideas?

Thanx,
Kimba466

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well first easy thing i would check is to be sure that your gastank vent is not plugged or the vent hose is kinked. Next would be a carb-rebuild or new inlet needles and seats. It pretty much sounds like the engine is flooding by the way you describe your problem and what you have to do to get the sled running again.

Start there, those would be my first two things to check.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
777 Posts
i would almost bet you have the old needles in there ,go but the viton tipped needles,problem solved. TriumpoverU is exactly right ,its flooding

you can get away with shuting off the fuel valve shut off and let it run for a miniute or so when parking it.... and leave the valve shut till next time,should start up normal.also shut off valve for trailering

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yup, I agree....definately flooding out. The usual suspect........needle n seats. Carb rebuild kit for all three, and you're back in business.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Seem to be having the same problem with hard starting on my '93 Xlt. The only way I can get it started right away is if I choke it to shut it off. Same needle and seat kit recommended?? or something else??

TRIPLE-THE ONLY CHOICE!!!!!

'93 XLT 580
'00 Indy Triumph

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Your saying that the only way you can start your sled is by flipping the choke on to flood it out the last time it was running? Am I getting that right?

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Tfin70, You are correct. We would stop for 15 minutes on the trail or for longer to eat and I wouldn't be able to get it started. We pulled the plugs because we thought it was flooded, but low and behold they were dry. One of my buddies came up with the choking idea and it would start on the first pull after doing that. Fuel filter or fuel pump maybe??

'93 XLT 580
'00 Indy Triumph

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Ace,

well i've got a few ideas for your sled, First im gonna say that, No you do not need needles and seats....needles and seats either leak, or stick in one position or the other (open or closed). Does the sled idle pretty good? Run well at top end? midrange? The first thing i would do is to clean all 3 carbs on the sled. Make sure your pilot jet and main jets are squeaky clean, also make sure that your choke cables are all adjusted properly.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Right, like ToverU says, we need a little more info here (how the sled runs while driving and while idleing). I also agree that this case doesn't sound like needle n seats either.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Sled idles normal. Runs great at all speeds after I get it started. Carbs were were taken apart and cleaned and sync'd to try to allieviate the problem. Still no luck. Just not getting enogh gas down there for it to start. The Xlt will be my wifes sled this year and I would like for her to be able to start it easily. My buddies say to just leave it alone, she'll get tired of pulling to start it and won't be tagging along!! LOL!!
Will check into the choke cables.

'93 XLT 580
'00 Indy Triumph

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yeah, if it runs and idles fine, there shouldn't be any problem with your fuel filter or pump. But you find the plugs are always dry when you try to start it, I'd lean towards the choke cables needing some adjustment. Apparently they aren't supplying enough fuel to start the sled, once it cools down.

Since you said the carbs have already been cleaned and sync'd, I'd check the choke cables. Process of elimination.

Unless of course you don't want the wife tagging along.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
85 Posts
heah! i just found this site this morning, looks great so far. i have a 96 xlt special that i purchased Superbowl sunday ! in the cold weather it seemed to be fine, it did ice up on me once this year, bad gas...yesterday it was in the 40's and i tried to go with her...she no go! lol....she's a hard starting bitch lately! i have re-cleaned the carbs, the needles and seats were new last year, rebuilt the fuel pump just for fun...i want no excuses, i also jetted her down to a 270, whoever worked on it last had 3 different jet sizes in her! is it just that Polaris' don't want to run in the warmer weather? i am going to check my choke cables after reading all this stuff on here though. thanks, dave

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Originally posted by kimba466
[br]1997 Polaris Indy Ultra SP 680 Triple. . .
Sled starts fine when cold (2 to 3 pulls), after running awhile, then shutting down (for maybe half and hour 45 minutes) sled starts hard. No choke, choke, still starts hard. Found that it fires right up if I hold the throttle wide open while pulling and releasing the trottle as soon as she fires. I'm sure that this not the way to do it so I believe that something must be out of adjustment. Perhaps someone out there can offer some ideas?

Thanx,
Kimba466
[8D]sounds like the choke just needs adjustment,their not seeling and she's flooding.if you werent geting enough fuel it would be hard to start when cold.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have similar problems with my safari, but sometimes when its on the trailer in the driveway, I just leave the tongue down and the sled is somewhat slanted forward. Would this make it worse? Could that be the choke?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts