Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife drives a 99 Z 440. Its a great sled and she loves it but the throttle is too hard for her. She complains after a VERY short time that her thumb hurts. I know the twin carb setup is a harder to pull than a single carb but i'm not going to pull a carb off. We have taken rubber bands and put them on the throttle to make it easier but that kinda scares me. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I just came up with this off the top of my head and it may not even work but royal distributing sells an easy-pull clutch system for dirt bikes and ATVs that eases how hard the clutch is to pull in, mabey you could see if that would work or if you could modify one to work on a sled throttle. The easy-pull system is $40

Just an idea.

EDIT: also try repositioning the throttle block. My friends 4 wheeler used to kill my thumb until we angeled it a little differentley.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Try looking for a "two stage" throttle block. Helps ease throttle pull. My buddy has one that I believe came stock on his 1998 Ski Doo Grand Touring 500 (liquid cooled). I also recommend trying different angles for the throttle as mentioned.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Take off the throtle cable from the lever and spray wd-40 down into the cable, then move the cable in and out, spray more wd-40. repeat this until it gets easy. my ultra is so easy to push now. It feels like there is no carbs when i have 3
hope that helps

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
You could always buy a set of 34mm mikuni rack carbs and set them up for that motor, then get a new cable for the rack.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i've already turned the throttle block and that helped. also gave her a 1inch riser and she said that helped too. going to try the WD-40 trick and look for a 2stage block

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
otherwise try the twist throttle, just break of the thumb throttle well leaving the kill switch on and try that.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
zecow224 said:
otherwise try the twist throttle
No. Twist throttles on snowmobiles are amazingly dangerous. You dont have a clutch lever to pull when you need to, which can result the g-force pulling you back, and you ending up in a tree ( Possibly dead ). They are not designed like snowmobiles, and theres a reason 99.9% of people dont put twist throttles on them.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
sledcrusher said:
zecow224 said:
No. Twist throttles on snowmobiles are amazingly dangerous. You dont have a clutch lever to pull when you need to, which can result the g-force pulling you back, and you ending up in a tree ( Possibly dead ). They are not designed like snowmobiles, and theres a reason 99.9% of people dont put twist throttles on them.
Cocky

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
I have taken ATV throttle cables and put them in a coffee can of oil before and let them soak a few days,pull them out everyonce in awhile and move the cable back and forth. Really makes them easy after that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Student Driver said:
Honestly, once you are set up properly,
She is just going to have to ride more and then soon enough that thumb pain will go away.
She did about 700 miles last year and 400 of that was after i adjusted her throttle and gave her the riser. and to be honest i try to ride a lot and i rode hers one night and it hurt me too.

·
Registered
863 Posts
sledcrusher said:
zecow224 said:
only pro's use twist throttle's right sled crusher? i'm just kiddin,g i know your switching it over just thought i'd bug ya a tad bit first.

and you could also try one of the throttle lengtheners? makes it so you can use your palm instead of your thumb.

sledcrusher said:
zecow224 said:
only pro's use twist throttle's right sled crusher? i'm just kiddin,g i know your switching it over just thought i'd bug ya a tad bit first.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
zecow224 said:
sledcrusher said:
zecow224 said:
Cocky
You ever experienced what he is talking about first hand? I have, it's not fun experience. So unless you have i'd recommend you to STFU... K? thanks [thumb]

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
MX86 said:
zecow224 said:
sledcrusher said:
zecow224 said:
Cocky
You ever experienced what he is talking about first hand? I have, it's not fun experience. So unless you have i'd recommend you to STFU... K? thanks [thumb][/color=red]

Honestly I heard a chick talking like that the other day, when I see someone talking in that cocky rhetorical tone I figure their a *** or a Female, which are you?

MX I thought you were more mature than that "I know something you don't so I'll throw it in your face all matter of factly" bull shit. Congrats on taking yourself down a peg. Sean has hit rock bottom and started digging a LONG time ago but don't encourage that throw it in your face, know it all attitude..

·
Registered
718 Posts
she'll eventually get used to it. her thumb will get stronger. just wait and see.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I know Poo and some Doos have an actual two stage throttle like mentioned above..."easy thottle" I know I had it on my first sled...97 Indy Trail, Im sure you can get one of those throttles still...big difference.

Being the end of spring and going into summer she has about a good 4 months to exercise her hand/thumb, I know my ol man's hand hurts after long rides, got him one of those blue exercise balls and have him squeeze that all summer to build up those muscles that you dont use on a regular day, only when riding. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
You can also add a left hand throttle lever like the mountain riders use so she can switch off and rest the right hand. There are also braces that fit the hand to ease the strain as well.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
xc500 said:
softer springs for the carbs? or make them shorter?
I cut the springs on a xcr 600. Worked very well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts