Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Has any one ever modded a 2005 Poo touring sled before

2K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  zecow224 
#1 ·
I got a 2005 polaris touring sled for real cheap, 1/5 of the blue book and i want to mod it any ideas? I was thinking take of the seat and the rear hand warmers, thne take the passanger footpegs off, take the decals off, take mirrors off, put a lower windshield on, a shorty seat, and maybe some clutch and gear mods. What you guys think?

#4 ·
I would just sell it and make 4/5 profit.

Taking off all the 2-up crap and putting a shorty seat on it would look cool though.

#7 ·
zecow224 said:
I got a 2005 polaris

take of the seat and the rear hand warmers, thne take the passanger footpegs off, take the decals off, take mirrors off, put a lower windshield on, a shorty seat, and maybe some clutch and gear mods.
This would all lighten it up and set it up to work properly with clutching and set up.
Being that you are into it so cheep, why not.

I have an old 92 XCR440 here that's geared way down, has a longer track than stock (133.5 x 1.5) and is actually set up to work as a loaner sled for riding here in the mountains.
Friends from out of town and sledless family members etc. ride that.
It's a cheep sled

#8 ·
Dump the M-10 touring skid, and replace it with the SKS 136"...

#9 ·
well one sled has 200 miles the other has 405, i paid 800 buck each ,they were my buddys old sleds that his dad drove around there property when there cousins came over. it is the 800 liberty with a camoplast track. we are going to keep one stock for my dad and the other one we are either going to sell or i am going to mod it.

#11 ·
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/115371/display.aspx#1160832

#12 ·
I would take off the whole back end off and replace with aluminum to lighten it up. Touring tanks are different compared to standard Edge chassis so if you want a shorty seat you'll have to change out the tank as well. But all that work for what? There's still a market for them, once the snow flies you'll be able to sell it for full price and make some money and turn around and buy what you really want.
But it is your sled now and your choice. Those touring skids are for that, but can work very well all around. Make sure you tighten bolts all the time and keep it greased up properly. And if it is a 600 you can add twin pipes from SLP, clutch it, jet it properly, and add a Tempaflow.

#14 ·
A good well balanced clutch helps maintain engine harmonics and running smoothly as well as proper clutching. These need more helix over what came stock to really harness that power and get it to the ground. SLP single pipe/can and head really wake these up along with the proper clutching.
Have fun with it.

#20 ·
CuzzinOlaf said:
Sell it! It is the same thing as taking a family station wagon and putting a loud muffler on it and thinking it is fast. It will always be a touring sled unless you put money (not worth it) into it.
Speaking of which, down in South Carolina I saw a Taurus station wagon with 26" spinner rims, and dual fart cans.

#21 ·
sledcrusher said:
CuzzinOlaf said:
Sell it! It is the same thing as taking a family station wagon and putting a loud muffler on it and thinking it is fast. It will always be a touring sled unless you put money (not worth it) into it.
Speaking of which, down in South Carolina I saw a Taurus station wagon with 26" spinner rims, and dual fart cans.[/color=red]

psh we all know its your ride, did you crimp the break lies so it could do a burn out? [confused]

#22 ·
^^Lol, you forget though everything he does is pure brilliance. To keep this on topic though I would sell the sled and get some money out of it and buy something different. Someone who has a family that is looking for a nice touring sled would pick it up in a heart beat.

#24 ·
I ride the mountains,
and so I don't know on the # of studs

zecow224 said:
nope its the 800 and i just took the engine apart and installed the big bearings.
Good move there.
Did you freshen anything else up while you had the motor apart?

myvertxcape said:
A good well balanced clutch helps maintain engine harmonics and running smoothly as well as proper clutching. These need more helix over what came stock to really harness that power and get it to the ground. SLP single pipe/can and head really wake these up along with the proper clutching.
Have fun with it.
Agreed,
Clutching and set up make just SO much difference in a sled.

I'd see about an Edge or Pro-X skid for it too over the stock touring.
Most likely Id go the route of seeing what I could find used and decent with rebuildable shocks.

#26 ·
well i dont like studs, but what kind of track is on it?? that will make a huge difference

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.