Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bein how I'm not having the greatest year compared to some in the past, rather than get rid of our dragon for a 2011 800 rush as planned, I'm thinkin of selling the dragon to the old man. Then we'll keep the rush we bought last year and just get another 2010 leftover. Christ, you can get one for just over 8 now.

anyway, people tell me a lot of good things about the 660's. I've also heard they can be touchy but tha was a carbed version. If I could do this to the one we bought last year and be assured I'm not losing reliability I'd probably consider it. I've heard 150, 160 piped. That's rippin.

thanks ahead for info guys

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I've heard HP ranges from 135-150.. But that's mainly on the carbed version. I have heard nothing but good things about the Carls Cycle kit. Im excited to try my 660 out next year for the first time!

Sorry i wasn't much help.. But from what i've read no one regretted going to the 660.. Always a great noticeable power increase

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man

anyone else had experience with one on a cleanfire?

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
http://www.carlscycle.com/eshopprod_cat_2438-19669_product_245427.Carls_Performance_660_Big_Bor.htm

I guess I'm confused now. Why wouldn't you be able to throw this on a cfi and tune re-tune it with a power commander?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
It might require mapping changes besides the changes that fooling the sensors can do, which is how the power commanders work. Or it could require more fuel than the injectors can produce at max load..

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
It might require mapping changes besides the changes that fooling the sensors can do, which is how the power commanders work. Or it could require more fuel than the injectors can produce at max load..
800 injectors?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
powersledder said:
Just call carls
Yeah, duhhh, I was going to put that at the end of my post, but forgot..

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well , it turns out they designed a kit for my sled. It's not on the site yet and apparently I'm gonna have the first one. Pretty stoked. They said they don't dyno their kits but when testing the cfi kit it was smokin the 800 piped test sled. As soon as I get back to mn I'm yankin the 600 out of the rush and droppin her in the mail. Don't worry, I'll have pics and vid (probably before it snows lol). I can't wait to beat bigger cc sleds....the rush will be a sleeper now.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
My guess is it's right around the $2800 area? If their HO kits put out 140+HP I'd like to imagine their CFI should be pushing closer to 150 all day long no matter how big of a temp swing there is while you're out riding.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
These 660 kits seem to push the limits on what a 600 can do. I rode a 660 that belonged to a friend that had a htg 660 kit in it and the thing had some balls. I think when I get a iqr one day I might invest in a 660 for it. I am just amazed on how a 660 can smoke a piped 800.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
powersledder said:
My guess is it's right around the $2800 area? If their HO kits put out 140+HP I'd like to imagine their CFI should be pushing closer to 150 all day long no matter how big of a temp swing there is while you're out riding.
ya, it'll be a hair more by the time it's shipped. They also want me to get a machine shop to balance the clutch too. Basically, I'm gonna be getting my motor back, rebuilt, piped, re-flashed for my elevation...then I need to clutch it (with their provided kit) and bolt it back in. I'm guessing with extras and shipping I'll be closer to 35. I still believe that'll be a better, more reliable motor than a lib 800. I'm still waiting for the exact price....im gonna throw a 1.5" intense on it too so if anyone wants a ripsaw with about 500 rounds on it let me know.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
you would like to think that with the cfi and decent pipes it should be a very drivable engine.

the new 600 open slow cross sleds make almost as much hp as the 800 opens did a couple years ago. 150 true daily hp sounds a little high unless you are spinning in the 8500+ area.

dont let hp ratings fool you though, there are many old 660 indys that were built and made 135 hp, the same as the early 800 twin edge. but when you ran the two of them it wasnt much of a race.

talk to aaen about big bores, he built big bores before the owners of most companys today were even born. the only thing that makes a big bore undrivable is a bad port job, to big of carbs or bad pipes.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^mc....i already made a deal with carls. After almost 3 years of you and others bashing the 8hundo I decided that since this is gonna be a little cheaper than a 2011 8hundo I may as well try it. I feel it will be a much more tuneable mill without having to worry bout a meltdown (even though my 8 always has ran fine). Time will tell. I'm not worried about bein a guinea pig. Hopefully I'll be pulling with you up to 80 mph next winter. Then I'll pass you in the bumps lol.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the_hog said:
If you think you are going to keep up with madcow's 1 litre to 80 with a 660, you are crazy man!
hey, a guy can dream right?[thumb]

Dragon700 said:
When am I going to get to ride this beast?
whenever you want bro.... You still got my number? I hope the snow is deep in the st michael/buffalo ditches this winter. You may wanna stay back a bit when we cross snowbanks....i got a feeling the 1.5" intense is gonna roost like a mother!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
sledneck1978 said:
I got a feeling the 1.5" intense is gonna roost like a mother!
That will be sweet to see. This winter it got the to the point that no one would ride behind me, and I was always the leader! It was a wide group.....

How much do those 1.5''s go for?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
you will easily keep up to 80 mph on the speedos! mine will be at 80 on the starting line as i am digging trenchs fighting for traction.

I think a 600 dragon with a 660 kit would be a very fun little machine. you know the chassis is good and you cant find people to say a bad thing about the 660 kits, putting them on cfi might be new but the engine and other stuff is already proven. you will find more crap about the turd 800 then you will about 660's going down.

just make sure you run good gas, a little splash of race gas isnt a bad idea once in a while. not becuase the engine needs it but because gas can be so different from station to station as far

1 - 20 of 20 Posts