Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of worn or broken studs, used sled, I was considering just removing them all. I'm a middle aged trail rider not a speedster.

Has anyone done this ? Would that not be advisable as the holes would be left open in the track ?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would replace the broken studs for a couple of reasons.

First I would want to keep studs in the track for safety reasons, not speed reasons.

Second, if there is a lot of broken studs then the remaining studs are bearing all of the torque and are more likely to tear out and damage the track.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
like jacqui said id replace the broken ones for safety reasons..you never know when your going to come onto that ice patch on the trail,we went on a ride a few weeks ago in nh and it was like -25 with the windchill well anyway we were like 100 miles into the ride and came onto a ice strip probably 100 ft up hill it was caused from the water comming down the mountains and let me tell ya it was so slick i couldnt even stand on it,the first guy with picks made it up with little effort and then i tried to make it up on my 03 sks no picks and made it like maybe 40 ft and the ass end of the sled came wipping around sidewards and off the trail wich was good because it was all snow[:D]i ended up pinning it in the snow and made it another 40ft and just spun..it sucked the other 2 guys with studs behind me made it,then the last guy with no studs had a hard time also anyway my sled has 370 lug studs in it now that hill is nothing[:)] just figured id tell you my story

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback, just to be clear, it was thinking of removing them altogether. I'll probably end up replacing the broken ones.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly, I don't know the difference, I've never installed them myself. [8)]

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have always run studs. Even if you don't want them for performance. Safety is key. I was riding with guys and none of them had studs. I made it up this icy hill and watched as they tried. Well 1/2 way up they would loose traction and actually slide back down into eachother and trees etc. Just picture that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts