Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear alot of ppl saying the XLT is way to over-rated and is a unreliable machine. I am starting to think the same thing, sad to say! There are 3 XLT motors with blown crank bearings in my room and 1 more that blew thats still my sled. Most will say they dislike them because they blow so easily. IF you have a XLT, RXL, or XCR, how did it blow?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
And where's the, "Mine runs great and hasn't blown yet?"

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Knock on wood, mine hasn't blown yet. I have almost 8,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
93 xlt w/8000 miles,didnt blow but had 1 piston break off a chunk by the rings,rebuilt the top end,now good for another 8000 miles.

·
Registered
228 Posts
mine runs great so far starts hard every once in awhile when u let it cool off just a little. But for 8,070 miles it strats up great and knock on wood it still runs great as i put it in the MI auto rv.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Most of the problems with the XLT's came from people who had NO business tuning on them trying to "super tune" them with out the knowledge to do so!! A good example are the guys who'd pipe them and then b*tch and complain when they blew, when asked what clutching and jetting they'd done, they gave that deer in the headlight look and asked "what clutching and jetting"!!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Originally posted by ultrastud
[br]Most of the problems with the XLT's came from people who had NO business tuning on them trying to "super tune" them with out the knowledge to do so!! A good example are the guys who'd pipe them and then b*tch and complain when they blew, when asked what clutching and jetting they'd done, they gave that deer in the headlight look and asked "what clutching and jetting"!!
So F'n accurate. I have seen the "deer in headlight" look. LOL

·
Registered
690 Posts
the piston ceized up on mine on the clutch side, 1400 dollars later and some other work done to the motor and she was running like a raped ape, i wouldn't say they were unreliable but you are going to have a better chance blowing the motor because you have one more piston to worry about, i think they were awesome sleds, if they were so bad why is there so many of them out there and why do people still ride them?????, there are a lot of polaris triples on the trail so they must be a descent sled. I wish polaris would come out with another triple but thats just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
11,281 Posts
95 xcr-7500 trouble free miles..we had a 94 XLT also with no problems.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Im going to be jinxed now, but I just had to read the thread!!!!! I have 3 600's in the shed, and they are all dependable. 2 xcrs, and the xlt. mods: none!!!! maybe thats why??? I figure polaris spent millions on R&D, and Ive been extremely impressed with them

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Both of my parents 95 XLT's have over 14,000 miles put together, and they still run like the day they were bought by my dad. If you leave them stock, they will last a lot longer than if you modify anything!!! End of story.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Originally posted by pinkpower33
[br]Im going to be jinxed now, but I just had to read the thread!!!!! I have 3 600's in the shed, and they are all dependable. 2 xcrs, and the xlt. mods: none!!!! maybe thats why??? I figure polaris spent millions on R&D, and Ive been extremely impressed with them
I think having now mods helps alot.

·
Registered
228 Posts
mods might shorten the life span if u don't know how to jet or clutch but mine has psi pipes with 8k miles. Just need to know what ur doing or how to read!!!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
PRO-X2C old 97 xcr 600 blew twice. both times due to a bad water pump. which we caught the second time around.

cheers

·
Registered
985 Posts
Originally posted by 6_x_0_c_0_r
[br]I hear alot of ppl saying the XLT is way to over-rated and is a unreliable machine. I am starting to think the same thing, sad to say! There are 3 XLT motors with blown crank bearings in my room and 1 more that blew thats still my sled. Most will say they dislike them because they blow so easily. IF you have a XLT, RXL, or XCR, how did it blow?
really were talking about 10yr old or older sleds for the most part. what about it blew up becuase it had been ridden by an idiot for 8000 miles?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts