Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oh boy. My dad is being damn technical for once. He is all about the fact that Yamaha worked to reduce rotating mass on his viper and the Hauck Speed Sheave weighs 1oz. yes 1oz. more than the stock sheave. The sheave is one of the plates on the secondary clutch. The Hauck one lets the belt ride different for more top end speed. He went to the post office and had them weigh the two for him. The stock one is 1lbs. and 15oz. the hauck one is an even 2lbs. He is upset about it. He was even considering sending the hauck one to school with me so I could turn it down on the lathe in metal working!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had meant to ahve a point besides just telling you... Ok what do you guys think about that? I mean what do you think about rotating mass and all?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my dad. He had a balance setup testing which was heavier the stock or the new one. Rotating mass can affect things. I mean 1oz in rotating mass is more than 1oz.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Why doesn't he just leave the stock one in then. What is the hauck supposed to improve if it's heavier.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it lets the belt ride farther down for different "gearing" for more top end speed. The 1oz is really nit picking. He is being odd but hey he is into it with this his first brand new sled and all.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Seems to me he should call hauck and ask them what they think. perhaps it needs more mass to complensate for something. [ shrug ] seems overkill to me though.

I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he called they said put it in. I guess he will. Whatever he is being odd. If I were him and I did that with taht one item I would pull like everything and work it over to lighten the sled and rotating mass. Hehe. I like the ideas of that stuff.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The way the viper is set up, a set of trips will give you over 15% increase in power. My friends father's ER has AAEN pipes on his 700 Yammie. He has 2.5 miles on it since it wont snow till new years. He has a dyno kit, that damn thing is peaking 150's.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ride Snowmobiles, baseball, bowling, and golf require only ONE ball!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He doesn't want to pipe it. He bought his first new sled and bought it for dependability. You get into the piping you take that dependability away. Anyway I have heard a little of the center cylinder temps being a problem. No idea just heard it.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Rotating mass is one thing. If you really want to reduce rotating mass call performace engineering and order a belt drive kit for it around $900 reduces rotating mass by 10-15 lbs and add 3-5% efficency to the drive system.
Lighter less rotating mass so R's come up faster and more efficent.
They have tested them to 10,000 RPM on sleds to 180HP.
Talked with the guy and Tison is going to put some on his sleds. If thats not an endorsement I don't know what is.
It should improve reliablility as well.

Member #2 of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team

1 - 12 of 12 Posts