Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever had a really hard time finding the trail? Well today me and 2 other guys here at Tech. went out for a snowmobile ride for the first time up here and it wasn't easy finding an easy trail from our ministorage garage to the trail. What made it even worse was that once we found the Country Inn Access trail they had trail markers that werent even in the right direction so wedrove around in circles. But after about 2 hours of searching we were finally able to find the freshly groomed trail and put on about 55 miles overall, not a long ride but we did find the trail[:D] So what's your story?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I live about .3 miles from the trail and could get from my garage to the trail with my eyes closed although i better not try that.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
1st rides of the yr are normally a bust tell they get groomed unless your a local. I can ride the trails here all day and nite with no signs or as some say blind folded.

If your not a local and you get out after a big storm before grooming good luck. You'll end up in circles or lost.. Mot of our trails are logging roads, walking trails, or some type of forest road. they all cross and inter lock with others.. most dont have signs at every like crosssing, y's or junk etc, because normally you can see where the trail goes from the groomer and difference in snow.

Ive seen many riders all spun around from trying to ride when you cant see where the trail goes the 1st time around.. Things get better as the snow comes and the groomers get out. Also trail signs I never trust them, thats y maps are good.. Clubs sign them but ppl sometimes move them or mess with them over summer or in winter.. they get hit by groomers some times or just disappear.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Originally posted by powersledder
[br]Have you ever had a really hard time finding the trail? Well today me and 2 other guys here at Tech. went out for a snowmobile ride for the first time up here and it wasn't easy finding an easy trail from our ministorage garage to the trail. What made it even worse was that once we found the Country Inn Access trail they had trail markers that werent even in the right direction so wedrove around in circles. But after about 2 hours of searching we were finally able to find the freshly groomed trail and put on about 55 miles overall, not a long ride but we did find the trail[:D] So what's your story?
Yep, moreso this year so far than any season. I got to know the trails pretty well in the Keweenaw, but now they've re-routed some of them enough to the point where it is a very different trail. It caught me by surprise a few times early on, I'm starting to get used to them now. I'm also finding myself riding trails I never did before becasue they've closed down all the fun twisty trails on the east side of the Keweenaw. I'm now learing what all of those straight railroad grade highway trails are like.[:(]

Out in the woods is a different story. You can generally follow your own tracks back out, but that's not a very safe system to rely on. I've been turned around several times on intersecting logging roads and random trails that we've found. GPS is a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
No problems here as I am a so-called local....

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
same here the trail is about a quarter mile from my doorstep i hot the canal and i can go anywhere from there the clubs out here do a good job as far as signs and trails go.however last year i did get lost and found myself about 4 and a half hours away from whjere i wanted to go

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Yeah I guess I never had that problem. They did change a few of the trails around here however due to land ownership changes, so we'll have to see where they end up now.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I want to have a good adventure this year but i have to get out on the trails first!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts