Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it was trying time to take the ski off the snowmobile (94 XLT) and now i put on the new carbide and just tried to put the ski back on and theres that rubber thing and it would not fit really well. Any suggestion?

I should add when i took the ski off i had to turn it 90 dgree and turn it side way. I remember taking my wifes ski off her machine and it was a breeze. possible wrong ski for my sled?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
I added new rubber bumpers to my ski's last year and it took me hours to put it back together. Even had to grind a bit of the rubber with a dremmell tool. I had to muscle mine on to get the bolt in etc. Now its worked in just fine. I also jacked up my sled under the front chassis and put it up on jack stands. That helped out alot. These skis suck to put back together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,850 Posts
Those metal skis are a real pain to get together. I found that putting the ski on the spindle, slide the rubber under the spindle and working it onto the "pad" works. Some grease under the rubber helps too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Yep they suck!,, I got plastic skis this year and Have never been happier with the results from them and the ease of them going on! It helps if u can have the weight of the sled on the ski rubber then try to manuever the bolt thru
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
814 Posts
Why did you have to take the ski off to put new wear rods on? Anyway, I found that if you can get a large punch or some kind of prybar with a tapered end that you can put through one side of the ski and pry down to line up the holes on the other side to get the bolt started. It also helps to have a buddy stand on the trailing arm over the spindle to compress the rubber.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rookie mistake here I suppose. I'm gonna try to get my ski together tomorrow and then i'll just replace the carbide on the other side w/o taking the ski off.

Gotta make some mistake so you can learn not to repeat the mistake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Bowak said:
rookie mistake here I suppose. I'm gonna try to get my ski together tomorrow and then i'll just replace the carbide on the other side w/o taking the ski off.

Gotta make some mistake so you can learn not to repeat the mistake.
we all have to learn sometime right
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
TRIPLEB said:
Why did you have to take the ski off to put new wear rods on? Anyway, I found that if you can get a large punch or some kind of prybar with a tapered end that you can put through one side of the ski and pry down to line up the holes on the other side to get the bolt started. It also helps to have a buddy stand on the trailing arm over the spindle to compress the rubber.
X2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hangman said:
Those metal skis are a real pain to get together. I found that putting the ski on the spindle, slide the rubber under the spindle and working it onto the "pad" works. Some grease under the rubber helps too.
Your way took me 5 seconds to get my ski on with the rubber on the spindle. Thanks a bunch man! now i still gotta do the carbide for the other ski and this time im not taking the ski off lol.

my sled is now off the trailer so it will make my job a little bit easier (no garage). Gonna grab my heat gun and melt all the snow off the other ski tomorrow and do the replacement and be done with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,850 Posts
Glad it worked out for ya!![thumb]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, new carbides are on.Third's a charm for new coolant hose. Went riding for an hour. More snow might be coming our way tonight...
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top