Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my sled together and had it out last night. Was riding for about an hour and was the happiest kid ever. I stopped and talked to a couple friends for maybe 15 mins and when I started it back up it fired first pull but when i took off it made a "tic" sound and right when that sound hit the temp light came on, sled started bogging and sounded like shit. I shut it off and first thing I did was put a little snow on the engine to see how quickly it melted. Not fast. I could hold my hand on the engine and it was just toasty warm. So I took about a 2 min ride back to the shop and just babied it.

Got to the shop in the morning, went through the carbs, put brand new plugs in and did a compression test, still 124 on both cylinders and that's what it was at when I bought it. Fired it up at about 5:30 pm. and the temp light instantly came on. It idles fine and collant hoses all warm up. Took it for a rip and it still bogs and has the power of a 300cc fanner. What the hell is going on?

It has spark on both cyl's.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Check plugs, check to make sure your getting spark. If both of those are good then I would check the carbs.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
bad det sensor?
stuck thermostat?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Empire087 said:
Check plugs, check to make sure your getting spark. If both of those are good then I would check the carbs.
brand new plugs put in it today and we went through the carbs.

madcow said:
bad det sensor?
stuck thermostat?
How do I check each? Does the sled have some sort of "mode" or something that kicks in when the temp light is on?

Forgot to mention, the tmp light flickers at idle and more so if you shake the sled a bit, like a bad connection, but I don't know where any of the wires on this thing goes.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
madcow said:
bad det sensor?
stuck thermostat?
A bad temp sensor will cause your sled to do what it is doing as well,and is not all that uncommon. Make sure there is no air bubbles in the coolent system while you are at it.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay so I did some researching and read that when the temp light comes on the sled retards the timing and it runs like shit. At work today I got some time to work on it and I unplugged the sensor and hooked up a resistor to the plug and the sled still starts with the temp light on. Pulled the gas tank, seat, console and airbox out and hooked the resistor up to the computer in it (or whatever it's called) and still got nothing. Maybe it's not the right resistance or something. I tested my sensor when cold (was like -7 celcius) and got nothing for resistance, but who knows if I was doing it right. So where do i go from here?

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
I know to test a thermostat you can take it out of the sled, boil some water, put a themometer in it, throw the thermostat in and watch. When it clicks closed, check the temperature of the water.

I dunno how to check DET sensors or the temperature sensor though.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Id go with the thermostat. My friends sled made a click noise and thermostate wires popped off. Not sure but that or that sensor. Hopefully its simple!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Polaris-Man said:
I know to test a thermostat you can take it out of the sled, boil some water, put a themometer in it, throw the thermostat in and watch. When it clicks closed, check the temperature of the water.

That is how we learned check thermostats in BOCES.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Unbolt the det sensor from the engine but keep it plugged in to the the wire harness. If the light still comes on when you start it there is a problem with the det sensor. If the light is out then you have to find the reason the det sensor is being activated and fix that problem.
Good Luck

·
Registered
761 Posts
Polaris-Man said:
I know to test a thermostat you can take it out of the sled, boil some water, put a themometer in it, throw the thermostat in and watch. When it clicks closed, check the temperature of the water.[/color=red]

Not arguing but I would think that it would go faster putting it in, in the closed position, and then heating the water till it popped open...no?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
^^^^I also think it would be faster, and it would be similar to the way it would react in the sled because the fluid is warming around it instead of just throwing it into boiling water.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's the temp sensor. I have one on the way. Started the sled to back it out of the shop cause it was in the way of me putting a rad in a car, it stalled when I was almost parked and I figured it was just cause I didn't warm it up so I just left it. Came out a couple hours later and it won't start. Just friggen great. Has strong spark, compression and is getting gas. I am getting real frustrated with this sled. I had it going good for an hour the first time it was out and was the best hour of my life but I'm really starting to get pissed that I can't ride it.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
driftpounder said:
^^^^I also think it would be faster, and it would be similar to the way it would react in the sled because the fluid is warming around it instead of just throwing it into boiling water.
RAMROD said:
Not arguing but I would think that it would go faster putting it in, in the closed position, and then heating the water till it popped open...no?
I dunno, that's how I remembered to do it, then I searched google to confirm and came up on this: http://www.focushacks.com/printable.php?modid=60&ht=Testing%20your%20thermostat

I don't think it matters if you do it heating up or cooling off. This is just how I was taught.

·
Registered
357 Posts
did you check the compression after u started it up to move it? u need to let it warm up before driving it. Also whats your jetting? maybe its flooding??

also did u bleed your coolent lines? maybe you have an air pocket in there somewhere.
good luck

wakeboarderboy said:
It's the temp sensor. I have one on the way. Started the sled to back it out of the shop cause it was in the way of me putting a rad in a car, it stalled when I was almost parked and I figured it was just cause I didn't warm it up so I just left it. Came out a couple hours later and it won't start. Just friggen great. Has strong spark, compression and is getting gas. I am getting real frustrated with this sled. I had it going good for an hour the first time it was out and was the best hour of my life but I'm really starting to get pissed that I can't ride it.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sedz said:
did you check the compression after u started it up to move it? u need to let it warm up before driving it. Also whats your jetting? maybe its flooding??

[highlight=red]also did u bleed your coolent lines? maybe you have an air pocket in there somewhere[/highlight=red].
good luck

wakeboarderboy said:
Could be, but how would that make it shut off and not start?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Do you plugs look like they have oil on them? Do they look wet?

I have found that the newer Polaris motors really do need to sit and warm up, usually until they are above 80F before taking off or putting them under load.

I had problems with my fusion getting to much oil and it would foul plugs at start up because the oil pump arm wasn't returning to the idle position when the throttle was released. When I would try to start it I had similar problems as you, first pull it would fire, but nothing after that. Something to think about.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts