Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--I apologize if you've read this already, as I have posted this on several of the popular forums. I don't have a snowmobile or atv currently, but am a motorsports fan.

As a local landowner, I can assure you that things will be much different next year. Hardly anyone in the area even knew what was happening until they were rustled out of bed at 6:30AM from the sound of hundreds of vehicles idling in front of their house. I kind of remember a flyer in the mail a year ago about the new proposed site for the event, but didn't here anything about it after that.

There is room on my property for approx. 1k vehicles, and with the cooperation of the landowner next to me, possibly another 1k. It would be about a 1 mile walk, but we'll get shuttles going, some with an open trailer for the swapmeet fans. I will also look into setting up a camping area, as options are limited around here.

I'm waiting to here back from the club, but I'm sure they are in the process of damage control right now and are getting lots of angry emails. I'm sure there will be several other sites set up to park and shuttle to help reduce the congestion that frustrated so many people.

COUNTY and CITY BOARD MEMBERS
As for all the town and county permits and politics, what is your problem? This event is a huge opportunity for this area and you should embrace it and cooperate as much as possible. What else in this area could bring 50k people to one spot before noon, with thousands and thousands trying desperately to get in.
You want to double our taxes to pay for an overbuilt high school that you don't have money to run, well here's your chance. Put your parking lots and school bus drivers to work and pay for it yourself. If you don't realize what an incredible resource this show will be to this area, then you have no business trying to run it!!!!

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I am anticipating a huge improvement for next year. I had a great time except for the traffic and the long walk, but in the end it was still a weekend to remember.

I will have no problem remembering my first ever haydays thats for sure!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Thanks for all your support to snowmobiling and motorsports. The world needs a lot more people like you. I, like almost all people on this site, appreciate what you are doing.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
RJohnson, thanks for the good words of support. Only recieving one notice in the mail, what can you tell us about the rumors of people needing to purchase "conditional" use permits? The word on the street states this is why nobody was allowed to charge for parking or sell things on their property?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
bigrok said:
Thanks for all your support to snowmobiling and motorsports. The world needs a lot more people like you. I, like almost all people on this site, appreciate what you are doing.
^^^^^X100[thumb]

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I also read that the "State Hwy dept" (county too)put a lot of restrictions on sno barons, what they could and couldnt do. What they ended up with wasnt what they wanted, but had to follow "there" rules.

As soon as I heard the gov stepped in, knew what caused the problem.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Thanks RJohnson and if i parked in your yard, Thanks even more. I was lucky only a 2 hour wait thanks to the place to the north of the 95 intersection and the two other roads that meet 95, still had a 1.5 mile walk but oh well! Thanks again RJohnson, it takes the supportive locals to make this event go that is forsure! Hopefully next year it goes smooth as can be expected. Thanks again.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Welcome to the forum RJohnson! I can only imagine what a shock that must have been to wake up to. I hope that other property owners in the area show the same desire to help alleviate the problems ( and are willing to make a few $$ in the process,as they should be entitled to do).

My inital reaction when I saw where the new site was, "dang, that's out in the middle of nowhere'. Now, that's not 100% accurate, but compared to their previous location, that is what it looked like to an admitted 'city boy'. I figured there would be challenges and unforseen problems, but never imagined it was going to be so bad that I wouldn't be able to even get to the site.

I hope that there will be an opportunity for RJohnson and others to support this event in it's new location. And as a note to everyone who thinks they could be there next time, think of the property owners like this original poster, who are willing to open up their space for you to help you enjoy the show. They have no obligation to do so, so if given the opportunity, please try to make a good impression.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2SEWINGS said:
RJohnson, thanks for the good words of support. Only recieving one notice in the mail, what can you tell us about the rumors of people needing to purchase "conditional" use permits? The word on the street states this is why nobody was allowed to charge for parking or sell things on their property?
I was going to start parking them Saturday morning and cancel an out of town trip, but happened to see the neighbor and talked to him. He wanted to park cars. He was told he would need to get the same permit that the show got, and they aren't giving those out anymore. Who ever he talked said their would be strict penalties, so I decided not to, and we left for the weekend.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
R Johnson I wish things would have gone smoother at haydays,feel bad for you and your neighbors, hopefully everyone can get this worked out.

I'm sure if you guys have camping parking there will be people taking you up on it.
I will be looking ;)

Maybe the sno barons should have a drive thrue area???
Where you can go get your truck, pull up and load... (charge like 5-10 dollars?)unless you already paid for parking on there lot.

ahhhh yes,more gov. couldnt even let the permit issue go for the weekend to clear up a big problem.

I found this on another site.

just some facts.
the local government has to take blame more than the sno barons!
was told that if you lived near the area and wanted to park people on your property you had to purchase a permit for $500.00.
the mn.dot determined the route into the facility, or should I say mandated it? so should you be located somewhere off of that route you were probably not to willing to buy that permit?
the SNO BARONS are a hard working bunch of people involved in a non profit organization.
should you not know how a non profit organization works they can not profit or stash any large sums of money!
the one fact you should all know, is that they donate large amounts of money to many different snowmobile clubs, trail systems, and many other snowmobile related things. too large to list!
JMO. but I think this is a good thing?
they are meeting with the local government groups as I type to resolve these problems.
I can understand frustrations about many of your experiences.
but this is not the largest attended snowmobile event for lack of effort.
I as well as many others figured there would be some growing pains. so I planned accordingly, was there all weekend and had a great time.
I am confident they will resolve the problems, and I myself appreciate what the do for the snowmobile comunity.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I also live local to the area and tried to help. The permit we needed has a cost of $500.00 per landowner and must be approved ahead of time. Im guessing these are the same idiots that dont want the combined cycle power plant built that will pour millions into the community.

The fault I see was the snowbarons underestimated the potential visitors. They should have hired a consultant (or a better one) that specializes in running events like this. They are extremely lucky someone didnt have a heart attack or something along those lines while stuck in traffc that would have required immediate medical care.

The mess at this years Threshing show in Elmelund should have been an indication of that possibility.

I too will be providing parking, camping and shuttle service next year.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
They had some little old lady on tv, that sold spot's in her yard, I wonder if they will go after her. probably?

I know there was a guy inviting snowmobile friends to camp at his place over the weekend, I havent heard how things went?

zxpilot, isnt eygept a little east of there??

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
SnowAttitude said:
Where you can go get your truck, pull up and load... (charge like 5-10 dollars?)unless you already paid for parking on there lot.
They did that the last few years, SW corner of haydays was a load/drop off and go area. You could pull up to the fence, load up or unload and get out of the way. Then the barons would take care of moving your sled/atv etc inside the grounds.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
powersledder said:
SnowAttitude said:
They did that the last few years, SW corner of haydays was a load/drop off and go area. You could pull up to the fence, load up or unload and get out of the way. Then the barons would take care of moving your sled/atv etc inside the grounds.
Cool never new that. did they have that this year??

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
They had a load/drop zone this year as well. Barons took care of moving someones new purchase from inside the even to the load zone.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well guys and gals, what can I say? That was an "interesting" weekend. For the most part the information that has been posted here is pretty accurate [re: parking permits, traffic routing, etc]. We erred with the amount of parking and the heavy rains the night before turned the main parking lot into a mess at 6am. At one point the D-70 had 14 trucks to pull out. That jammed things up coming in and then it just snowballed from there.

Needless to say, there are a ton of changes in the works already. I believe the $500 permit only applies to residents that park more than a certain number of cars. The county has already said no tags will be issued for this year for anyone that did park cars in their yard and lacked the proper permit.

If there is something specific you feel you need addressed, feel free to contact me. I'll even call if you'd prefer to talk on the phone. I've spoken to a bunch of people already and it's really helped them calm down and understand the situation. But please don't say the roads or parking, I think everyone in the 5 state area is aware of that issue [:D]

Apologies to anyone that got stuck waiting in the mess Saturday.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
#1:The $500 permit needs to go away for the homeowners, they have a right to make a few $$$$ for putting up with that amount of traffic on a weekend. I don't know anyone that would complain to pay $10 to park off the roads leading into Haydays, there were no shoulders, and if there was a shoulder, the angle was so sharp, you all most did a roll over just trying to keep your vehicle as close to off the road as possible. Having off street parking is a win win for everyone.
#2:The layout for the event was horrible. Got to get a set up where the swap is one area, and not separated by the race track and stunt performers, rows lined in one direction and move on. Also, it is about time the Sno-Barons address the issue of what is to be sold at Haydays. Snowmobiles, ATV's, Dirtbikes, tools,and related parts can attract interest, but household items like Vacuum cleaners, lamps, A/C units, couches, blenders, etc.; really don't fit the bill. I mean if this is a way to say' "yes, we are catering to attract women to this event", forget it, women don't want "hand me downs" on household items.
#3: Ever thought of adding Taco Bell, MacDonalds, Burger King, Hardees, Wendy's, Subway to the menu at Haydays? Usually after a few hours, the grease becomes the item of choice from the vendors inside the event, as the food is dripping with it.
Other than that, hey, we all know it's the first year Blues and things will get better. Trying to pull off an event with 100K people attending on a weekend takes some extra ordinary circumstances to make it successful.

·
Registered
443 Posts
polaris1man said:
#1:The $500 permit needs to go away for the homeowners, they have a right to make a few $$$$ for putting up with that amount of traffic on a weekend. I don't know anyone that would complain to pay $10 to park off the roads leading into Haydays, there were no shoulders, and if there was a shoulder, the angle was so sharp, you all most did a roll over just trying to keep your vehicle as close to off the road as possible. Having off street parking is a win win for everyone.
#2:The layout for the event was horrible. Got to get a set up where the swap is one area, and not separated by the race track and stunt performers, rows lined in one direction and move on. Also, it is about time the [highlight=red]Sno-Barons address the issue of what is to be sold at Haydays. Snowmobiles, ATV's, Dirtbikes, tools,and related parts can attract interest, but household items like Vacuum cleaners, lamps, A/C units, couches, blenders, etc.; really don't fit the bill.[/highlight=red] I mean if this is a way to say' "yes, we are catering to attract women to this event", forget it, women don't want "hand me downs" on household items.
#3: Ever thought of adding Taco Bell, MacDonalds, Burger King, Hardees, Wendy's, Subway to the menu at Haydays? Usually after a few hours, the grease becomes the item of choice from the vendors inside the event, as the food is dripping with it.
Other than that, hey, we all know it's the first year Blues and things will get better. Trying to pull off an event with 100K people attending on a weekend takes some extra ordinary circumstances to make it successful.
You couldn't have said it better, When we got there this guy had a big swap site and had one table and all that was one it was a lantern. And also other people were selling chairs and a sofa.
And also a other guy i think was selling soap, Who goes to haydays to buy soap. I know for a fact it wasn't tunnel polish.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
polaris1man said:
I wonder how it would work out if those homeowners just happened to have some snowmobile friends that just happened to park at their place and go to the show together. The homeowner didn't charge anything for parking but their just happened to be a free will offering jar that people put $10.00 into per car. I don't see where a county or township could pass an ordinance stating how many friends you can have stop over at your place.

·
Registered
67 Posts
polaris1man said:
possible. Having off street parking is a win win for everyone.
#2:The layout for the event was horrible. Got to get a set up where the swap is one area, and not separated by the race track and stunt performers, rows lined in one direction and move on. Also, it is about time the Sno-Barons address the issue of what is to be sold at Haydays. Snowmobiles, ATV's, Dirtbikes, tools,and related parts can attract interest, but household items like Vacuum cleaners, lamps, A/C units, couches, blenders, etc.; really don't fit the bill. I mean if this is a way to say' "yes, we are catering to attract women to this event", forget it, women don't want "hand me downs" on household items.
The swap wraps around the perimeter. It really isn't separated by anything. Maybe seeing it on map would make more sense. http://www.snobarons.info/haydays/images/race-layout.jpg
But that layout will remain the same.

Trying to police what people bring is a daunting task but may be looked at with time. May have to look at RVs coming in with no trailers as well. Both of these will at least be touched on at coming meetings though.

No idea on the fast food but personally I hope not. I like going to the state fair and other events, including Hay Days and eating something different from a little mom and pop trailer trying to eek out a living than some corporate behemoth.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts