Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the boards here, just got a quick question for ya. I'm needing to change the o rings on the head cover of my 02 edge x 700, is there anything specific that I need to know when doing this? Any tips are welcome.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
66 Posts
not really just make sure there down in the grooves all the way cause if there not they will tear when you tighten the head bolts, i put a set on last year when i replaced a cylinder and rebuilt the top end on my xc. just make sure the grooves are clean. you shouldnt have any problems.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
i did them in a little over a hour with figuring out what was leaking and getting the parts.... make sure you dont pinch them and torque your head bolts correctly...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok guys, sounds good. I figured it would be a pretty easy job. Just another question though, what is the best way to drain out the coolant and how much should I drain? Anything in particular to bleed out air when I fefill it?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
66 Posts
i just pulled off one of the hoses on the bottom and drained it into a can im not sure if there is a drain or not, probably just as safe too get it all out that way you can replace it with new coolant it cant hurt. and im not sure how your sled is but on my 2000 xc there is a little screw on top of the engine where the radiator hose goes on to the thermostat housing between the spark plugs. fill it up with antifreeze and run it for a couple of minutes and shut it off and thread this screw out it will let the air out just let it go untill antifreeze comes out. first try you will get a bunch of air. but you need too keep repeating this till you get it all out. let it cool for a few minutes then try again, if air gets stuck in this closed system it will surely fry your engine. your sled may have a few more of these places too bleed it out. just make sure the tank stays full. simply put keep bleedin air till it runs straight antifreeze kinda like bleeding breaks on a car.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
i didnt drain it just pulled the head, but i was low cause mine was loosing coolant do to shot o-rings.

easiest way to drain them is to pull the lower of the 2 hoses on th engine and hope for the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts