Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so heres the story, went out to the lake and i was running for about 2 hours with no problems went back to the car for about 15 minutes started it up and took off again. then after about 10 minutes it started smoking like crazy and blew coolant all over my right leg.. one of the main coolant hoses were backed off a little so i tightened it and ran it again.... same thing but it was spraying out of the top overflow line so i took it back to the car and headed home.

checked-
heat exchangers not clogged
thermostat opening perfect
overflow hose was cracked and i replaced it
drained and re-filled with coolant(bled it off real good)
checked compression( sled was cold and i pulled it 3 times) [red]80PSI in each cylinder[/red]
had a little coolant in the exhaust too.

it runs about 5 minutes and the overflow tank is bubbling like crazy and it sprays out of the top overflow line.

i think its a head gasket and i ordered the gasket set but i wanted to know if anyone had any other ideas.. and if i should replace the rings too?? thanks alot guys!!

·
Registered
764 Posts
if the coolant is bubbling in the resivoir then more then likely u need new o-rings in your head

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in my head or the sleds...just kidding-i am going to pull the heads in a little bit and check it out.

thanks for the help.

by the way its a 90 prowler 440

·
Registered
39 Posts
had the same problem with my 90 prowler, it was the o rings, and make sure u buy cat o rings only, after market tend not to fit well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright i have it fixed, the o-ring for the head wasa missing a chunk about 3/4". i just put the new ones in and ran it for about 20 minutes and it didnt overheat.. so i am going to take it out again tonight and hopefully it doesnt overheat again..

thanks for the help i appreciate it!!

PS- i love dennis kirk, i ordered the gasket kit 2nd day and i had it the next morning!!love em i swear

1 - 7 of 7 Posts