Snowmobile Fanatics banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I know that it needs to be 18* BTDC. If I remove the CDI there is a hole underneath it where you can see the magnetos and such. That hole is round but has a point that sticks toward the center. I have a feeling that has something to do with it. Does anyone know what things need to be lined up?

I don't have the book and can't buy it until after Christmas as it is on my list. Thanks

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
did you replace the gaskets when you retorqued those head bolts? also there should be a timing mark where the wires come out of the flywheel.there should be marks on top of the stator plate to line up for proper timing. there is one way to check it but it includes removal of the flywheel and recoil to see where the wear marks are from the factory

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
No I did not replace the gaskets. They seem too be sealing just fine. (only one cylinder was loose - would the gasket make a big difference?)

The spark plugs indicate correct heat range (cardboard color)

Timing - I have removed the flywheel several times trying different settings. There are about 4 marks on the stator plate and a mark on the main block. On the ealier settings it backfires / ?some of the later settings sounds like it is knocking?

Does the hole in the case under the CDI have anything to do with the timing?

Thanks

Some more info that might help-
when I first got the sled I had to get a new main coil for it. when I took the stator plate off I marked it and put it back exactly the way it came off with a new coil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1978 Arctic Cat Jag 2000 with a 550 cc Spirit engine in it. I had it out the other day preping it for this winter and I noticed that the one head was leaking and causing it to run rough. I got a wrench and tightened down the nuts a little (which were only about finger tight.)

I was curious if anyone knows the proper torque that the nuts on the head are supposed to be set at. The sled is in excellent condition and ran great last year.

Thank you,
Max Trax
Hi Max, do you still have this sled?
I have. '78 jag 2000. Love the machine.
Cylinder head torque is 200 in/lbs.
Retorque after warming her up.
Get a small air filter off Amazon/eBay. It will work just fine with no other adjustments to carb.
Cleaning the carb could clear up the back firing.
My jag seems to sit a little low in the backend. I'm looking for info on how to raise the rear end.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts