Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i herd somewhere that you could use that stuff that is on the back of trucks on the headlights...do the headlights shine right through or what im pretty sure i saw it on here...let me kno

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
DO NOT USE TRANSPARENT TAPE!!! Buy velcro on covers.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Make sure that any type of headlight covering is legal in YOUR state. Most states restrict the use of ANY type of cover.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Tbey shine through, but are like 50% duller.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Right and that means that a sled will out drive its headlight at about 30-35 MPH.

·
Registered
863 Posts
picman said:
Right and that means that a sled will out drive its headlight at about 30-35 MPH.
i dont understand how a sled will out drive its headlights?

·
Registered
181 Posts
It means that at night, at 30-35 mph, you are going too fast to stop in time when you see an obstacle in your headlight.

Your reaction time and the stopping distance are directly related to how far ahead you can see. With a dimmer headlight, you can't see very far ahead.

·
Registered
863 Posts
cooper30 said:
It means that at night, at 30-35 mph, you are going too fast to stop in time when you see an obstacle in your headlight.

Your reaction time and the stopping distance are directly related to how far ahead you can see. With a dimmer headlight, you can't see very far ahead.
ohhhhh, gotcha

·
Registered
848 Posts
Wow you guys really know your safety tips. I would recommend using something that you could easily take off for night riding. They don't make aftermarket headlight covers for my sled either... or at least that i have yet to find. You could try finding a junk lens for it, or a headlight assembly and then remove the lens, paint the inside black, and use velcro to apply it over your original.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I would think taillight tint would work. http://www.vhtpaint.com/niteshades.html

more coats= darker tint.

but once you put it on, you can't get it off. May want to keep that in mind.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
just use some black tinted plexi-glass, and velcro it on, take it off at night

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wow you guys really know your safety tips
School of hard knocks.

When I was in high school, I clipped a moose one night. I was on an '87 Exciter going as fast as I could down a long straight stretch. All of a sudden, there was a moose in my way. It never showed up in my light till it was too late to stop.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I almost got a tree. Pretty much the same deal as above. Running fast with some guys who knew the trail, got behind and tried to catch up. The corner was not marked and ......

Wisconsin has just made our 55 MPH night time speed permanent. The studies they based their decision on says that at about 55-60, the average sled is out driving the lights. I know that is true for my sled.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
dont put a red one on cuz youll confuse a lot of people on the trail. i rode for about 2 days until i realized that red headlight covers just dont work out that good lol

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Im thinking about getting a green/smoke tinted lense for day riding. The common sense thing is to take them off during the times when you actually need headlights, like night for example. On the topic of headlights can you get xenon boosted headlights for sleds? That would be nice.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts