Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put way to many bulbs in this sled. I should have done this a long time ago. I was checking it with a circuit tester, and when I touch both bulb connects, they both complete a circuit through the frame. I check every connect and have ended up at my switch. I did a break right before it and it DID NOT ground going into the main harness. It DID ground on the half going into the switch. It does this on the brights and the dims. It does not do it without them being selected though.

When I click the switch to brights, the brights ground, and when I switch to the dims, the dims ground. They do not ground when the other one is selected.

Sled is 99 700 RMK, GenII with the seperate lights for brights and dims.

I had a hard time typing this out. If you don't understand what I am saying let me know. I can try and make a short video showing what I mean.

·
Registered
632 Posts
i think the switch makes the ground/interupts the ground wich in turn makes the light do what they do. In other words, when you switch to high, it grounds, conpletes the circuit and you have high beam, but at the same time interupts the ground on the dim so they go off. I'm not 100% on this, but it makes sense.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention. When I say they ground, I ment both wires ground. The brights have a yellow and a yellow/red wire going into them, these come all the way from the switch. They ground and the brown(ground) grounds. The dim(center) has a green wire and it grounds as well as the brown wire. When the switch is slelected to them BOTH wires ground, not just one.

·
Registered
632 Posts
do your lights work as they should?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, until they blow out. I have put 3 in the dim and 2 in the brights. In the last 7 days. They work when I leave the yard, but by the time I get back they are blown. Except once, I had them blow instantly.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Im goin to guess you need a new voltage regulator?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just put a new one in last night. No other lights blow just the headlights. The voltage at the plugs is 12V at about 4000

·
Registered
632 Posts
hmmm...that is strange. Did you make sure to clean the spot where the VR is mounted? I took mine down to bare metal. have you traced all the wires looking for bare/pinched/messed up wires?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shined everything up. Checked for pinched or messed up wires. Everything looks or feels good all the way up to the switch.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Could be a bad VR outta the box. If you keep blowing bulbs its cause they get to much voltage, wich is the VRs job tp control. Im gonna guess you have made sure the bulbs are seated properly and you have removed all the broken bulb fragments from the light housing. Other than that, i'm stumped.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They didn't explode. Just the filiment keeps blowing.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Yup, its likely a bad switch. If the switch goes bad it will blow out the headlight bulbs.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. Also I had a known good regulator on it for a couple days and they still blew. Then I put my new one on. Even though that didn't fix the problem my old one was shot anyway.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How do I get the pluggins out of the switch? Flat screw driver?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, Finally found someone to agree with me on the switch and I just eliminated that as the issues. I finally got it unplugged and it was still shorting. I traced the Yellow wire all the way to the 6 prong plug with only 4 contact pins. Every single one of these wires is grounding to the frame somehow. I have a circuit tester, one prong it stuck to a spark plug and the other is touching the pins. Every single one shows a current flow (signalled by an audible alarm). This plug goes into the stator and the ignition coils.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quit confusing yourself here...this is an AC system. That means when checking continuity to the frame from "+" or "-", it's going to appear that they are shorted to the frame. Go ahead and check any other bulb in the sled, they will all do the same thing. The best you can do is trace wires going back to the voltage regulator, then to the lighting coil making sure there are no shorts or open wires. My thought is you may have a dimmer switch out of it.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[LOL] Why didn't I put that together. Never even dawned on me about it being an AC system. Is there anyway to see if the switch is bad? I just had it all apart and I couldn't see anything bad about it. This is really starting to get frustration because I went to start the sled and test the output at the llights just to make sure it wasn't another bad regulatorm and rope broke. So I have been cussing and throwing that across the shop for the last 4 hours.[LOL] PPM got me a link to ACM recoil post and I think I can get it now.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well is was the regulator. I am not sure why the known good one didn't work either. I did an output test on the lights and they were receiving 20 volts at idle.

Now my second question, are my handwarmers and such going to be fried or should they work fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts