Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking about getting a guard for the front heat exchanger cuz i have the sled all apart the heat exchanger i took out had a bigass hole and u can tell the studs threw out its time has been hittin it, does anyone have a guard its prob worth it right, just wondering if there were any issues with the guards thanx

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
i would say a gaurd would hamper the cooling effectivness

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
either take the studs out (your situation is one of the reasons I'm not a believer in studs), or buy EGT and/or water temp gauges so next time you can monitor your running temp and save the engine before you cook it.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Use shorter studs and tighten the track up abit.....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Probly best to run smaller drive sprockets or you could run your track tighter(may cost you some top end speed though).
My exchanger is chewed too but no leakage.
I just watch for the green snow! if ya see its leaking run rad cap loose so theres no pressure in cooling system (that will reduce the coolant leakage lots!) fill her with coolant or water, wiskey but not beer it gets too foamy! drive her home. Never seen a guard for a front exchanger.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Any kind of guard that would protect the cooler from studs would also interfere with snow getting to the cooler. The purpose of that cooler being in the front of the tunnel is so that it gets a lot of snow thrown on it from the track.

As others have said, either shorter studs or smaller drivers. Changing to 8 lug drivers will drop the gear ratio a little more than dropping 2 teeth on the top sprocket, so some re-gearing would need to be done to compensate unless you wanted to go with a lot lower gear ratio.

The speedometer/odometer will be way off with 8 lug drivers too, but SLP has compensated speedometer drivers for $50.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
this may sound dumb but me and my neighbor did a front radiator delete kit on hi vmax. all we did was take a piece of hose and connect the ends where the front radiator should be and we havnt had any problems since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts