Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K I have a 99 RMK 700 and it has a polaris installed heat gauge, it had it when I bought it. But it doesnt work, the light works but the needle never moves.Im not the best with wires and theirs a crap load of wires that go to the gauge so I was wondering if its a bad connection or is it the gauge or the censor on the motor bad?? Any way I can check?? If anyone else has had this problem or has any ideas it would sure be helpfull.thanx

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone??

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
there is alot of wire to the gauge?i would think there is only a power and ground wire,
and then there should be a solid core wire that goes to the head,im not positive but i know thats how the setup is in my jeep,so if your light comes on you are getting power so count those 2 wires out..check the third wire out make sure its not split anywhere.im guessing there is a sensor that goes into the head im not sure if they go bad or not??
it could be something as stupid as the gauge is sticking..take the cover off and move the needle back and fourth making sure it moves like it should..hope this help a little..

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
k get this, my gauge started working the other day but only when I let off the gas the needle would rise..My tach does the same thing it quits every once in a while..Is it a bad ground??I put electrical grease in the connections..

·
Registered
957 Posts
sounds like you have a bad ground somewhere... I'd start looking near the gauges under the hood and go from there. See if you can find a common wire that the tach and temp gauge are sharing .

·
Registered
324 Posts
How many miles do you have on it? The egt sensors do burn out after a while.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it has 3200 miles..Whats a edg sensor???

·
Registered
32 Posts
EGT= exaust gas temp, I think the one dealers install from Polaris is a coolant temp sensor, do you have a volt meter? Check your voltage with the sled running, are you lights normal brightness? Check all your wires going to the sensor for breaks etc, any place they bend alot etc.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im almost positive my gauge is a coolent temp gauge..the very first time I started my sled the lights were dim but brightened right away and havt had a problem with that since..I will have to try the voltage meter test, anyonne know how many volts it should read??thanxs

·
Registered
32 Posts
If your lights seem to be normal brightness it's probably not the regulator, (voltage should measure ~12 to 17 volts)
If your tach is dropping out also that's good news, it definately sounds like a ground problem not your gauge or temp probe, finding it could be a huge pain in the a$$ though.

·
Registered
197 Posts
voltage will only tell you if it has power...to check the sensor you will need an ohm meter to check for resistance(which will go down as engine warms if the temp. sensor is working) check the manual for proper ohm range and never conect the meter to a hot circuit!

·
Registered
128 Posts
hello again! your heat guage will have 2 wires that are just for the little backlight for night vision isolate them first. then you have a positive feed to power the guage and the negative comes from the sending unit on your cooling system. one common mistake on these installations is the use of plastic fittings which do not give the body of the sending unit a ground check it out![:D] ps mine is still running perfect with its new can[8D]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts