Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has ever put exhaust heat wrap on there pipe? Mostly 2 stroke. I was thinking about it this summer. If it gets dirty does it clean off or does it stain dirty?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Wrapping the pipes will change the heat in the exhaust and the way pipe's work and you will need to rejet.
Also if the pipe wrap does get dirty it wont clean up. I have used it on some custom bike build's and it gets dirty and looks like crap.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thank you, i knew the temperature of the exhaust would change, but i didn't know you'd have to rejet, doesn't make sense to me

·
Registered
538 Posts
James007 said:
Ok thank you, i knew the temperature of the exhaust would change, but i didn't know you'd have to rejet, doesn't make sense to me
Doesnt make full sense to me either, but it changes the tune of the pipe because it gets hotter. At least that was what I was told.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Pipe wrap works like ceramic coating to help keep in heat, however, I highly recommend against pipe wrap because the wrap holds in road grime and moisture. I bought a set of wrapped pipes at haydays a couple years ago and couldn't believe how rusted they were underneath the wrap. Had to have greasemonkey sandblast and paint them.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah? I would have thought they would keep moisture out. The reason i was asking about it for motocross is that on most bikes, water, mudd etc comes flying up from the front tire and hits the pipe which cools it down. If i would put any heat wrap on it would be just around the bottom of the pipe. But now that i know it holds moisture and dirt stains in it. I guess its more of a car thing.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
You'd be better off with just a shield to keep the mud off..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts